Why become a member? ×

Shuker Jazz V w/Villex pups

Ashwood1985

So this arrived today!

I ordered it from bass direct with the confidence in the fact that if I don’t get on with it I can return it within 7 days. It was originally a custom design for a member of a well known band according to Mark at bass direct (although he couldn’t recall the name). I’ve emailed Jon to see if he has any info/memory of when this was made and who for.

Sound: Fantastic basic tone. Nice and punchy but also soft with a lighter touch applied, and I’m blown away at the flexibility of this especially considering it’s an all passive design (Villex pickups. If you don’t know em look em up!). Between the pup positions, mid control and tone roll off I’ve enjoyed tweaking to many genres tonight on the cans 🎧 From warm, gooey vibes along to Jill Scott to thin, edgy punky tones to The Cure. Note: I was playing through a microbass III which gave me bass control which you obviously don’t get on board with this design but that’s something I adjust per track/style as opposed to mids which I like on the bass mid song so it’s great for me. I found the passive mid cut/boost to sound broader and more natural than most active circuits I’ve used. Very useful control to set how much you’re sitting in or poking through the track. Plus when completely off the somewhat scooped sound changes the whole nature of the basses tone IMO which adds to the flexibility. Good general balance with the B (can’t stand it when the B sticks out tonally: I end up avoiding it which defeats the object of the thing!) Great natural slap sound also with plenty of sustain.

Playability: Excellent. Came set up nicely from bass direct which helped. Very playable neck for my hands and the spacing feels just right. No dead spot issues.

Weight: Would like it to be a pound or two lighter in a dream world but hey can’t have it all all the time!

Looks: Really like the unusual off-white grey finish. Works well with the tort and maple IMO.

Issues:

- Slight neck dive. Nothing extreme but plan on putting Hipshot ultralights on there which should help it get to where I’d like it to be.

- No dots on the knobs. Plan on replacing them so I can see where I am!

Summary: Inspired and excited my playing and very flexible in terms of styles. What more could you ask for (if not a touch lighter: but hey it’s a Jazz V and it’s not “heavy”) 😋

I can safely recommend Jon Shuker’s pieces very, very highly based on my experience with this!

The little funker gave the low B a solid note when I gave it to him in this shot. Proud 🙌🏼

C3F23F71-F298-4038-82B0-81ED7ECBF8A1.jpeg

Edited by Ashwood1985
  • Like 1