Why become a member? ×

Does this bother anyone else?

Guest MoJo

12 minutes ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

Is your intonation correct? Never had one of those basses but the sadles look very close to the end of the screws. I guess you could correct this misalignment if the sadles were closer to the base of the bridge. But this only makes sense if intonation is not OK. 

Intonation is bang on

Regarding the advice to "nudge the neck over a bit". It would worry me more if the neck and body join had any play in it and the neck wasn't held tightly in place by the body.

I'd  try putting small shims between the bridge saddles to line the strings up.

34 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Funny thread. The slightly off the pole-pieces thing doesn't bother me at all, but strings visibly not centered on the neck would drive me mad to the point that I couldn't own a bass like that.

Sadly, I have to admit that I've sold basses in the past that have played well, sounded fine, simply because some aesthetical issue bothers me (the Peavey Zodiac DE, picture above, was one)

20 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Ugh. That kind of misalignment tends to be one of the first things I notice in basses. I'm sure it makes no difference to the sound, but I'm happier when I can't see the pickup poles under the cover, so I don't know about it! 😉

Same for me. I sent two MIA Jazz basses back a few years ago because of string miss alignment. I felt that although it doesn't effect tone, for £1200 (at the time ) i should get a bass thats been made properly.

I would feel the same about this one. Doesn’t matter what the cost, money is money and if my money is good, I expect the item to be. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Same for me. I sent two MIA Jazz basses back a few years ago because of string miss alignment. I felt that although it doesn't effect tone, for £1200 (at the time ) i should get a bass thats been made properly.

I would feel the same about this one. Doesn’t matter what the cost, money is money and if my money is good, I expect the item to be. 

Quite right. I usually buy cheaper basses to do up, but if I was buying a new "premium" model I'd expect it to be perfect in every respect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nilebodgers said:

Quite right. I usually buy cheaper basses to do up, but if I was buying a new "premium" model I'd expect it to be perfect in every respect.

Not even premium though, IMO anything you buy should be made properly. Obviously QC can vary etc, but an obvious miss alignment like that is not acceptable to me at any price. 

• Like 1

I would not have known what was wrong with that bass unless I'd read the thread. I am so lucky not to be afflicted in this way. 

I know from experience that @hiram.k.hackenbacker can spot a misaligned bridge or neck a mile away. He pointed out to me that a bass I'd bought was afflicted in this way just from looking at a picture. I would never have known otherwise. 

Luckly it was an easy fix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mangotango said:

...is the right answer.

Glad you said this first, but yes.

If it works like it should and sounds like it should then what, really, is the problem? Without wishing to sound unduly immodest I have very good spatial awareness and can spot minor misalignments a mile off. Being bothered about them is an extra step that I don't feel the need to pursue unless they materially affect the sound or playability of the instrument.

No names no pack drill, but at the risk of incurring the wrath of my fellow Basschatters I can't help thinking that there are one or two people around here who really should get out more. :ph34r:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, leftybassman392 said:

If it works like it should and sounds like it should then what, really, is the problem?

So it wouldn't bother you if a new piece of gear had scratches and marks on it?

For me its all about getting what i pay for. Nothing to do with OCD.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2020 at 16:07, odysseus said:

I'm too scared to look!

I've only got a Cort GB74 and a Sub Ray 4 now I've sold 4 basses this year. The  alignment on the SR4 is fine but the top string on the Cort is off-centre over the poles by a couple of mm 😲😵. It plays fine but now I find this a slight niggle as well ! I've also been checking my Epiphone  Sheraton and Ibanez SA 160 and the top string on the Epi is out by a mm😨