Why become a member? ×

Mr Pink - My Level 42 tribute band. Promo video.

doc40hz

I'm really not a fan of autotune but the rest was properly impressive, I'd actually like to hear what you guys sound like without it. I've seen a few of your play through vids - you are clearly a great player which is borne out by taking this on. Good work 👍

• Thanks 1

I was a big fan of the World Machine album back in the day. This might seem odd on this forum, but for me it was not "all about the bass" as they were a fantastic band with great material, and, as @chris_b has pointed out, it was never really about Mark King's voice.

I think your video is great; way stronger than you suggest in your original post. It really now is all about selling it, so yes, a good agent is possibly the next step.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doc40hz said:

Good advice tbh, I'm very much self taught. I think though the thing that's preventing gigs is not knowing the right people (I am far from a socialite. Despite being a very capable bass player in my home town I have zero social currency with the very cliquey music scene ) and also hailing from Dundee - the town really has no serious music scene and ambition/chop flaunting is looked upon with suspicion/derision.

Very true, my friend Iain from Dundee a talented keyboard player said a similar thing 

Well good for you. I love a bit of slap bass and see it's demise as being due to guitar fascists who want to replace us with sine wave generators ( or people playing precisions strung with flats and using a plectrum ) so that they can play all the tunes.

Come to Derby .. every pub in town seems to have a cover or tribute band playing and the flower pot has either a good tribute band or someone eeking out their end days ( read China Crisis, Dr Feelgood, Big Country) every night of the week.

NB: I'll have to hear the clip through good headphones as you're being drowned out by the keyboard player on my tablet.  As always ... Bass player should be louder!

The other thing I always find impressive is the ability to do both vocals at same time as laying down a bass line. Our dep bassist does that and I can't even sing! (Fortunately she's only been playing bass for 3 years so I'm not yet feeling threatened by her, but by my draft P45 is clearly being got ready). 

Being able to do both very well, like you do (albeit with an inappropriate Scotch accent - just kidding!) is taking it to the next level. Level 42 in fact. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I think a wee bit of slightly more positive thinking might be in order? 😏 The video and music is way better than you appear to think and I personally can hear nowt wrong with your vocals either. As someone said earlier, Mr King is hardly Pavarotti!  You say Dundee has no legacy music scene: Average White Band, Danny Wilson and The Associates all hailed from Dundee (thanks Google) and did OK. You've got a great video, if the rest of the set is as good, get it out there, use social media and whatever else. There must be agencies who book the big 'soundalike bands', find out who they are and make some noise.  Why not contact Mr KIng himself, he may be impressed  and offer some advice?  I wish I had your talent, the nearest I got was having a Jaydee Roadie back in the 80's!!

I can be a bit pessimistic, true enough! There have been a few famous bands out of Dundee, but there are very few venues to play these days. And those venues are hard to get into unless you are part of the "in crowd" it seems. Same the world over I guess! I'm very encouraged by the interest and support here and over on the Mr Pink facebook page. It's only been up a few days and comments are flooding in asking when we are playing - it seems there are quite a few Level 42 fans out there! I'm contacting as many people as possible, hopefully an agent/promoter will see the potential! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, doc40hz said:

Thanks for all the kind words!

We recorded the full tunes for the video clips, so I'll probably upload them to the website at some point (www.mrpink42.com) - it's very rudimentary at the moment. 

Any leads for gigs would be greatly appreciated!

Of note, I'm trying to get a MIDI controlled light show on the go. A light display programmed to coincide with key drum and bass fills. 

I’ve got some leads - would you prefer black or tweed ?

• Haha 1

You're right about some people hate slap bass Doc, because i'm one of those, but when Level 42 hit the streets, it seemed absolutley right and i found myself falling in love with MK's technique.

You have no worries pal. Your playing AND singing is top notch.  Playing a bass and singing is an art in itself, and even harder when using such a bass technique as MK's.

The whole band sound 100%  and i'm sure everyone wishes you the best of luck. Once you get noticed, which you will, there'll be no shortage of work, i guarantee :)

Carry on sir.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

Have to say that is tight. Accent doesn't come across at all altho i'm Scottish too.

Playing is first class from all the band. Can't fault it anywhere at all.

Only Tribute band Promotion i know is Shock City in Glasgow who might be worthwhile contacting. They put on various shows with differing styles across the board.

I'm not really a Level 42 fan either but you guys would be good to watch just for the bass alone.

Think the slap is fine when its not just showing off doing constant bass solos. Mark King does it well during the songs.

Wish you all the best guys

Dave

• Thanks 1