Why become a member? ×

Mr Pink - My Level 42 tribute band. Promo video.

doc40hz

This has been a lot of work, but this is our promo video.  This kinda started semi seriously to have fun playing hard music with my friends but I've decided to try and get out doing shows. 

I'm Scottish, so my accent is wrong for singing like Mark King so I just tried to sing in my voice. I am also not a singer! There's obviously some autotune at work, but we probably only spent about 10 hours in the studio recording the audio for this! My singing is...passable live. My sister (who is filling the role of Mike Lindup) is an outstanding singer, who fronts my other band called Danger Zone (wedding/events band). 

Level 42 splits people. Some people hate slap bass out of principle for some reason. For me, it's hugely enjoyable and highly expressive. So I'm aware I'm going to take flack for even attempting something like this! So be it. I'm well aware of the failings of this band (my vocals!). 

However, the guys in the band are top notch and I want to show off our hard work. This has been a very challenging project from start to finish. 

In truth, we don't sound much different live - thought obviously the singing is not a good. I can sing and play the parts no problem, the drummer is super humanly tight and our keyboard player is also a masterful sound engineer. We use  a Soundcraft UI24 which is awesome. 

The bass was my JayDee through a Trace Elliot GP12 with what I think is the correct EQ setting. The only track with the Status was "Heathrow"

I'm trying to get this band out doing shows, but my home town of Dundee is dismal for live music. I guess I need a promoter or an agent. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

Edited by doc40hz
  • Like 45

Great job, really not the easiest music to cover..

Been asked myself by a couple of musicians to start a tribute to Level 42 around here in Belgium but I found it too complex to reproduce.

But this sounds really nice, congrats ..And like someone already said : King isn't the best singer either.

Edited by wombatboter
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Impressive 😀

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

The vocals sounded pretty good to me. Mark King isn't exactly a Pavarotti either.

9 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Ohhhh, my first Bass serious bass was a Jaydee just like that but in black...

Gas.

+1 all the above!

Loved it! 

Got me checking out Jaydee basses. But I'm not sure that they make 5ers (wallet says "phew")?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, itu said:

That was very functional! By the way, Natalie can not be single, can she?

That’s not important to me :) but her voice is every bit as good as the OP says 

I think you’re way hung up over the Scottish accent thing, if you hadn’t Mentioned it I would never have known as it was not noticeable at all. 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2

Unashamed Level 42 fan - absolutely brilliant. Um... your voice suits the songs perfectly. Obviously not Mr King, but right for the songs... given you sometimes hear covers where the singer is almost a complete mimic and others where they're just, you know,  wrong - your voice is different and fits the songs really well.
Shame you're the wrong end of the country from where I live as I'd come to a gig or ten and hang out at the merch table. When's the CD coming out?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

As above!

If the only thing holding you back from the big bucks is live lead vocs -- maybe singing lessons would be worth the investment?

👍

Good advice tbh, I'm very much self taught. I think though the thing that's preventing gigs is not knowing the right people (I am far from a socialite. Despite being a very capable bass player in my home town I have zero social currency with the very cliquey music scene ) and also hailing from Dundee - the town really has no serious music scene and ambition/chop flaunting is looked upon with suspicion/derision.

Thanks for all the kind words!

We recorded the full tunes for the video clips, so I'll probably upload them to the website at some point (www.mrpink42.com) - it's very rudimentary at the moment. 

Any leads for gigs would be greatly appreciated!

Of note, I'm trying to get a MIDI controlled light show on the go. A light display programmed to coincide with key drum and bass fills. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doc40hz said:

Good advice tbh, I'm very much self taught. I think though the thing that's preventing gigs is not knowing the right people (I am far from a socialite. Despite being a very capable bass player in my home town I have zero social currency with the very cliquey music scene ) and also hailing from Dundee - the town really has no serious music scene and ambition/chop flaunting is looked upon with suspicion/derision.

I think a wee bit of slightly more positive thinking might be in order? 😏 The video and music is way better than you appear to think and I personally can hear nowt wrong with your vocals either. As someone said earlier, Mr King is hardly Pavarotti!  You say Dundee has no legacy music scene: Average White Band, Danny Wilson and The Associates all hailed from Dundee (thanks Google) and did OK. You've got a great video, if the rest of the set is as good, get it out there, use social media and whatever else. There must be agencies who book the big 'soundalike bands', find out who they are and make some noise.  Why not contact Mr KIng himself, he may be impressed  and offer some advice?  I wish I had your talent, the nearest I got was having a Jaydee Roadie back in the 80's!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1