Why become a member? ×

Band joining/leaving shenanigans. Update - The Decision...

solo4652

16 hours ago, Trueno said:

... or maybe, stand behind this curtain and play the bass while Carl is on stage miming along.

If I was in that position, no way would I give in to the temptation to come in late, play out of time, play in the wrong key or add overdriven fills full of split notes at inappropriate places. Certainly not.

• Haha 7

42 minutes ago, upside downer said:
carl
/kɑːl/
noun

1. ARCHAIC
    a peasant or man of low birth.

Great. I've never been prouder to be called Carl. Thanks a lot, Caaaarl 😒

I think a carl was above a serf in the social standing... so it's not all bad.

Seven Facts From The Fascinating World Of Carls

* Carl is derived from the Old English noun ceorl (a man, freeman, peasant) and encompasses more than one social rank. At least one shonky web site suggests that ceorl means 'bonded man' which is the exact opposite of a free man and therefore complete bollocks and pretty much what you'd expect from something called babynamefinder.com

* Carl can be viewed as a shortened form of the name Charles. Alternatively, Charles can be seen as a lengthened form of the name Carl. Two kings of England and ten kings of France have borne the name Charles as well as sundry other European monarchic riff-raff including various Charles's who were kings of Hungary, Naples, Sardinia, and Wüttemberg, shïtholes like that, basically

* A house carl (Old Norse: húskarl, Old English: huscarl) was a non-servile manservant or household bodyguard in medieval Northern Europe. The rank was applicable irrespective of the size of the household so a house carl could be a member of the household troops or bodyguard of a Danish or early English king or noble, and therefore something of a big noise around town.

* The Germanic form of Carl (Karl) translates as meaning 'strong man', a possible linguistic link to the meaning of the OId English ceorl / huskarl where strength might be a pre-requisite for a household bodyguard, on the basis that the last thing you want between you and your ravening enemies is a mimsying cream-puff quoting romantic verse and dangling a floral pomander from his belt rather than a big f*cking knife.

* Other European Carls include Carlos, Carlo, Karl. The name of the Spanish chef in TV's Crossroads was Carlos Raphael (sic). Feminine forms of Carl include Carla and the diminutive Carlita, generally associated with pouting Latina chickies in high heels and halter tops whereas the Russian Karla brings to mind baldy, woke thesp Sir Patrick Stewart in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy rather than a high cheek-boned icy Muscovite beauty with a useful line to people who can supply cut-price consumer electronics and Glock pistols

* Carlism is a Traditionalist and Legitimist political movement in Spain aimed at establishing an alternative branch of the Bourbon dynasty – one descended from Don Carlos, Count of Molina (1788–1855) – on the Spanish throne and therefore of no interest to anyone outside the Iberian peninsula.

* Famous musical Carls include drummer Carl Palmer, rock 'n' roll pioneer Carl Perkins, singer Carl Wayne out of Brum Beat band The Move and composer Carl Orff best known for his piece Carmina Burana which is very famous but gets on some peoples' tïts the way it bangs on relentlessly like a f*cking steamroller with a wonky wheel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I wonder if Dark Cloud Carl is as member of this here forum, being a bassist and all .

Yes. I have been slightly concerned about this. Maybe it's time to draw a line under this band episode and move on. I probably made a bit of a mistake by not using pseudonyms for the people involved.

Edited by solo4652

7 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

No. We may have been a little harsh pointed out how ridiculous their behaviour has been, but you’ve been fair and considerate mate. Nothing to be concerned about.

Fixed.

well I for one fully understand their behaviour, they wanted to give their mate and band supporter a chance,  @solo4652 must have made it look so easy at the audition that Carl  thought " I can do that" of course it's never as easy as it looks when somebody who knows what they're doing is doing it, they realised their mistake and tried to rectify it. I also understand why @solo4652 turned it down what with the spectre of Carl hanging over the proceedings

• Like 2

I know one Carl and one Karl. Karl is a nice bloke I'm on nodding acquaintance with at work. Carl is a lovely man and a superb singer/frontman.

I have no problem with 'Carl' being used as code for 'creepy hanger-on', as I can easily make the disconnect. :)

On 08/02/2020 at 19:23, skankdelvar said:

like a f*cking steamroller with a wonky wheel.

A friendless pedant writes:

Whilst I in no way seek to lessen the overall effect of Mr Del Var's most amusing piece, I feel it only fair to point out that a steamroller has rollers. It is of course possible that Mr Del Var was referring to the steering method rather than the motion transmission devices; however the distinction was not made in the original prose, so I feel it only fair that I (cont'd p.94)

Smug-Man.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Page and a half about Carl. We bassists certainly know how to cover a topic :laugh1:

Think we may have lost focus on the original topic whatever that was :lol:

Dave

One question that has yet to be covered is 'is Carl good for metal'?

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Haha 3

On 07/02/2020 at 22:32, Si600 said:

I used to do Taekwondo with a Carl. His heart is in the right place (just left of center) but he's also really annoying. He's one on the list of people I wouldn't choose to go drinking with.

Uncanny, a Carl introduced me to karate. He went by the nickname Cringer though.