Why become a member? ×

Peter204

Hi everyone.  I'm new on here, so hello!!

I'm in the process of renovating a 1960s Framus Star Bass.  I've got a local luthier doing the mechanical stuff including re-fretting and repairing the neck joint to the body, but he's suggested that I do the wiring.  The control pots are shot and the insulation has all gone brittle and is falling apart, so he's removed wiring the loom and given it back to me to re-build.  But I'm puzzled by the logic of how it's wired.  I can't see any reason why there's a resistor between the pickups and the volume control.  The output level is also very low, so this can't be helping.  I want to keep the outside appearance as original as possible but, unless anyone knows of a reason for the fixed resistors, I'm going to do away with both of them and use a more normal set-up.

Any advice gratefully received!!

1465671916_Existingwiring.thumb.JPG.c71a584890a5492d704325770c0619bd.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 20:51, Peter204 said:

Hi everyone.  I'm new on here, so hello!!

I'm in the process of renovating a 1960s Framus Star Bass.  I've got a local luthier doing the mechanical stuff including re-fretting and repairing the neck joint to the body, but he's suggested that I do the wiring.  The control pots are shot and the insulation has all gone brittle and is falling apart, so he's removed wiring the loom and given it back to me to re-build.  But I'm puzzled by the logic of how it's wired.  I can't see any reason why there's a resistor between the pickups and the volume control.  The output level is also very low, so this can't be helping.  I want to keep the outside appearance as original as possible but, unless anyone knows of a reason for the fixed resistors, I'm going to do away with both of them and use a more normal set-up.

Any advice gratefully received!!

1465671916_Existingwiring.thumb.JPG.c71a584890a5492d704325770c0619bd.JPG

The resistors will be there for a reason. No manufacturer adds cost and complexity without good reason. Could it be to balance the circuit? 

Best thing is to email Warwick and ask them. Likely you will get a reply from Hans Peter Wilfer himself and he is incredibly helpful. When you email Warwick take photos of the front and back of the bass and the control cavity and serial number.  This way you should be able to get a complete history of the bass.