Why become a member? ×

New Band - Old Gear..?

Frank Blank

Mesa M6 with its "pull deep" 

A cab that can deliver a meaty low end eg Fearless F112. 

(Or in place of the above a Markbass AC 121 Lite combo with its extended speaker excursion specifically for it to handle meaty lows and ability to deliver its full 500W load through its solo cab). 

A decent sub woofer with cross over for the PA. 

DOD Meatbox pedal. 

How much more sonic sludge could one person ever wish for? Job done! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I’ve enjoyed experimenting in the past with a 115 and 410 but running the lows into the 410’s to keep them ‘tight’ and running the highs to the 115 to soften the highs. My old Eden power amp has a tone control  on each channel as well so I could further monkey with the tone going to each cab. Might be counter intuitive to your needs if you’re after big subby lows but if you have access to the gear worth an experiment. In my old practice room we had heaps of speakers to try our- I actually shared it with a fellow bc’er!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I’ve enjoyed experimenting in the past with a 115 and 410 but running the lows into the 410’s to keep them ‘tight’ and running the highs to the 115 to soften the highs. My old Eden power amp has a tone control  on each channel as well so I could further monkey with the tone going to each cab. Might be counter intuitive to your needs if you’re after big subby lows but if you have access to the gear worth an experiment. In my old practice room we had heaps of speakers to try our- I actually shared it with a fellow bc’er!

That really depends on the drivers. Not all 10s are tight & not all 15s are loose.

• 2 months later...

I still hadn’t made up my mind about what to for this new project but the lockdown has taken the rush off the decision. Having said that, I think, as an FRFR convert I’m going to invest in a second K12.2, my duo partner can use the other one and I can have two running with the new band, more for a pose than anything else.

• 4 months later...

Ok, I’m mega late to this party... first time I’ve logged in here for about a year, but..  I’m Shep and I’m still alive.

My old blog was closed down when I stopped playing bass as much (I got a record deal ‘producing’ for an electronic act - WRISTS) but Si offered to host all the interviews I’d done so everyone could still read them - hence the Shep/Si connection.

My old ‘band’ was Our Helical Mind - google it and you’ll find stuff on Bandcamp and Spotify. We were 2 guys using drums and a bass to make analogue drum & bass. It was fun, but we kinda peaked at what we could do with just 2 of us around the release of ‘Synthetiks’ and figured that Nerve had the 3-piece market already covered, so we called it a day. The pedalboard was a 2-man lift. It was insane. As was the tap dancing.

Thanks for remembering me though. Makes me feel all important! Sorry it took me 9 months to reply!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

Ok, I’m mega late to this party... first time I’ve logged in here for about a year, but..  I’m Shep and I’m still alive.

My old blog was closed down when I stopped playing bass as much (I got a record deal ‘producing’ for an electronic act - WRISTS) but Si offered to host all the interviews I’d done so everyone could still read them - hence the Shep/Si connection.

My old ‘band’ was Our Helical Mind - google it and you’ll find stuff on Bandcamp and Spotify. We were 2 guys using drums and a bass to make analogue drum & bass. It was fun, but we kinda peaked at what we could do with just 2 of us around the release of ‘Synthetiks’ and figured that Nerve had the 3-piece market already covered, so we called it a day. The pedalboard was a 2-man lift. It was insane. As was the tap dancing.

Thanks for remembering me though. Makes me feel all important! Sorry it took me 9 months to reply!

Yay! Welcome back matey :D oh how I remember your awesome pedalboard. Amazing otherworldly sounds from your (Roscoe IIRC?) bass.

You're still on youtube too!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yay! Welcome back matey :D oh how I remember your awesome pedalboard. Amazing otherworldly sounds from your (Roscoe IIRC?) bass.

You're still on youtube too!

Yo!!

Oh yeah, YouTube too!

We’re in the odd position that neither of us seem to be admins on the Facebook page anymore and the email address associated with Bamdcamp, YouTube and Spotify no longer exists... so material is out there, but we don’t really have control of it anymore! Ha. So yeah, enjoy what’s out there!

Synthetiks - prob the best track we made. Utter b@@@h to play live. Soooooo many pedals active at once in multiple parallel loops. In the interest of the amplification question in this thread, that was an EBS Fafner into a Barefaced Big Twin T, though I did go smaller further down the line and found stuff that could still cope with the sub lows.

• Like 2

If you know the old email address can you still access the account and change the ownership details ? 

I'm just guessing with that as never had to do it. I know my old aol email address i can access old items even tho i changed address at least 8 yrs ago.

Dave

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

If you know the old email address can you still access the account and change the ownership details ? 

I'm just guessing with that as never had to do it. I know my old aol email address i can access old items even tho i changed address at least 8 yrs ago.

Dave

You’d think so... but apparently not. It just won’t give us access. Not that we’re super bothered, it is very much an ‘old project’.

• Like 1