Why become a member? ×

New Band - Old Gear..?

Frank Blank

Well I have had the luxury of playing in a duo for many years so I’ve picked the basses I fancied and tailored my tone to each song. Also I’ve had the absolute luxury of not needing huge volume, what with no drummer and wanting clarity I’ve very, very happily used an FRFR speaker that’s been a glorious revelation...

However, I am now in discussion with a guitarist I was in a band with over thirty years ago and have a drummer in waiting. The idea (so far) is to play kind of slow and heavy dub infused grooves with excruciatingly dissonant grating guitar cavorting over the top. Not sure my basses and rig are going to be right for such a sonic sludge bath, one can only try. I’m wondering if, in six months time I’ll have a Precision with flats, a Barefaced 6x10 (or similar) with an appropriate head.

What would you use for such a project?

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The idea (so far) is to play kind of slow and heavy dub infused grooves with excruciatingly dissonant grating guitar cavorting over the top.

Can’t offer any input on the gear - but I’d love to hear the results! :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Alright I’m just looking for an excuse to get one of these (fat chance)...

5249030C-21B4-44A7-BC39-843E3EE8D5C8.jpeg

doesn't your stomp have a model of that? If you need more volume just add more of your powered speakers... :D 

Also if you want a massive bottom... you've got an ACG preamp on your ACG - you can do some nasty things with that boost knob on the neck filter :D 

Oh crap, I've broken the rules of basschat... yeah, your current gear is rubbish for that gig, sell it all and buy new stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forget Barefaced and other modern, clean sounding, efficient kit if you want a "sonic sludge bath". Get some old Goodmans 18" drivers in massive cabinets and similarly ancient valve amplification. Tweeters are banned. Then start saving up for a long wheelbase Transit to cart it around 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

doesn't your stomp have a model of that? If you need more volume just add more of your powered speakers... :D 

In all seriousness I was wondering that, if I could just add more...

Also if you want a massive bottom... you've got an ACG preamp on your ACG - you can do some nasty things with that boost knob on the neck filter :D 

There are very few people I’d discuss my (potential) massive bottom with. Actually I’m in no doubt at all that the ACGs can easily create the sounds I’m after.

13 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

In all seriousness I was wondering that, if I could just add more...

Yes, you can. The QSC has a link out so you just use an XLR cable to connect them.

Sack your guitarist, run parallel high and low rigs with octave up into a guitar rig and octave down into a wall of 15" speakers. Low pass filters with slow chorus for the deep stuff and high pass and delay / postrock verb / fuzz for the high stuff. 

Then sack your drummer and beatbox. Then lose the instruments and go acapella into the fx rig and start your new avant-garde solo choir. You've already got one fan here!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

@pantherairsoft is a long-standing BC member. :)

I often wonder where he went to. We used to discuss effects for hours. He had a webpage dedicated to effects too, but unfortunately, it’s gone. 
All that’s left is this. 
https://simonpoulton.tumblr.com/sheponbass

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

I often wonder where he went to. We used to discuss effects for hours. He had a webpage dedicated to effects too, but unfortunately, it’s gone. 
All that’s left is this. 
https://simonpoulton.tumblr.com/sheponbass

Well now I'm confused ... Sibob is definitely still around, and I thought that Sheponbass was a different guy altogether?

• Haha 1