Why become a member? ×

Unlined fretless fiver, anyone?

lownote

OK, this is one of those threads where you get to spend the OP's money.

I love unlined fret-free.  Currently abusing a Vintage 940FL and a Revelation P and I don't know why anyone would want to play fretted [waits examining nail while tough guys approach swinging bassball bats].

But here's the thing.  I also love five  strings (BEADG). Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap but lush five string unlined fretless? Other than investing in commissioning a Fodera, Overwater, etc etc.

Thanks, ta, multsamesc... and may the thermic shock never jiggle your truss rod....     

Used Carvin (I currently and will always own a fretless unlined factory 5 icon)

Used USA ernie ball sub (I used to own a fretless, unlined factory U.S.A. sub 5)

Those are my personal experience items.

Sub used in USA dollars a few years back was roughly $400, they're more like $500 or more now.... quite the collector instrument these days.

Carvins range from several hundred up to a grand used, often, but they're always a good deal, new or used.

On 28/01/2020 at 14:40, itu said:

I wish I had, that is probably next on my list. But with 19 mm spacing. Nothing else matters.

I thought I wanted 19mm spacing on a 5 until I owned a bunny brunel model carvin (that model is 19mm as custom designed for Brunel).  I LOVED that bass, but hated the spacing.  19mm for 4, less for a 5 or I'm unhappy.  Why?  I couldn't tell ya - just works that way for me.

Edited by donkelley
  • Like 1

I have a Warwick Corvette unlined fretless.  A handsome beast but I’ll be selling it soon as the narrow string spacing doesn’t work with my big hands.  I’ve maxed out on the adjustment but the fingerboard just isn’t wide enough - may suit someone with more nimble fingers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2020 at 04:45, Basilpea said:

I have a Warwick Corvette unlined fretless.  A handsome beast but I’ll be selling it soon as the narrow string spacing doesn’t work with my big hands.  I’ve maxed out on the adjustment but the fingerboard just isn’t wide enough - may suit someone with more nimble fingers.

My first fretless was a Warwick/Rockbass Corvette, and that only set me back about £300 second-hand. Only a four, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a used fiver variant of the same model knocking around.

(I do still find myself missing that bass now and again; I part-ex'ed it in my quest for a Tony Franklin fretless, but if I hadn't since bought the Shuker, I'd probably be on the lookout to get that Corvette back...)

There's a very good fretless builder in Florida, Tom Clement, who builds amazing (fretted and) fretless basses. On the second hand market, you can be lucky and find some of his instruments fairly cheap (at least cheap when considering it is a completely hand made instrument to commisioned specs).