Why become a member? ×

BF 610 Cabs

Orbs

Hi there Peeps,

Does anybody have any experience of using these BF cabs?

I currently use a Vk 4X10 and I'm really happy with the sound and build quality of it, but I like the idea of a one lightweight cab solution and being able to wheel it around, as I'm forever taking the skin off my knuckles negotiating corners or tight spaces at gigs etc, which is the downside of using 4x10 cabs.  I've tried BF 2x12 cabs in the past which were great from a mobility perspective, but I found I just couldn't bond with them sound wise.

BF say these 610's are 'old school' sounding but I'm not really sure what that means. I play in a function band so need the ability of a cab to be capable of delivering slap, soul, pop, funk, rock, etc, which the Vk does quite nicely. 

Any impartial, unbiased, real world user opinions would be most appreciated, cheers.

I had the 410 & 210 paired together. For the band I was in I needed sharp highs/ a crisp sound, sort of Duff McKagan style . I paired them with a Gallien Krueger amp and a Sansamp but just couldn’t get the sharpness required. Not the fault of the cabs, they’re described as vintage/relaxed top end so it was wrong tools for the job. I’d recommend them for anything like rock, old school punk, Motown. Not sure about slap, have no real knowledge of what’s needed for that.

Edited by Lozz196

24 minutes ago, Orbs said:

Hi there Peeps,

Does anybody have any experience of using these BF cabs?

I currently use a Vk 4X10 and I'm really happy with the sound and build quality of it, but I like the idea of a one lightweight cab solution and being able to wheel it around, as I'm forever taking the skin off my knuckles negotiating corners or tight spaces at gigs etc, which is the downside of using 4x10 cabs.  I've tried BF 2x12 cabs in the past which were great from a mobility perspective, but I found I just couldn't bond with them sound wise.

BF say these 610's are 'old school' sounding but I'm not really sure what that means. I play in a function band so need the ability of a cab to be capable of delivering slap, soul, pop, funk, rock, etc, which the Vk does quite nicely. 

Any impartial, unbiased, real world user opinions would be most appreciated, cheers.

Well I will try and be impartial but I am selling my 610 😉

These cabs are incredible. I have used it for rock, pop, funk, metal and it has never sounded 'old school' unless thats what I have wanted it to sound like. I used Sansamp/Helix/Darglass and every pre in between with it and basses from Precisions to Jazz/Modulus/Dingwall and it just sounds excellent. I am a bit of a Barefaced fanboy ( and gear whore) so maybe a little biased. I think I have had most cabs going and nothing touched the Barefaced sound, oh and weight. Currently using it for Foo Fighters tribute and a grunge band and works just dandy. I am selling but in absolutely no rush and may even change my mind after the gig next week. Unless I take the Big Twin 2....or the supertwin....etc...

I have one. It's the best cab I have ever had, closely followed by the Super Twin.  I'd describe it as round and tight if that's possible.  No tweeters in it but I've not struggled with the clarity or high end definition. It's certainly not as transparent as the Super Twin though. I use Ashdown and/or Darkglass heads through this and it can do any sounds that I want.

I used to have the old Ampeg 610HLF  and this is streets ahead. 

• Like 1

I owned both a barefaced 610 and a 210 (still own the 210)

I think the reason it says its "old school" is more down to the fact it doesnt have a flat response like the 12 inch barefaceds do. It doesn't mean it sounds old school, as i don't think that really means anything, what it meant to me is that the cab has a certain voice to it that sounds good to the ear and less sterile than the 12 inchers. (oooerrrr)

I loved the sound, look and the presence of the 610 however even though it is light its not that fun to carry down stairs especially in comparison to the 210. I ended up selling it as i found i just wasn't using it enough to warrant keeping especially as the 210 sounded very similar (if not the same to my ears), was loud enough for all the gigs i've done (or its been mic'ed) and much easier to load in and out.

I loved my 610 and I wish (1) that I still had it, and (2) that I played the sort of gigs where I needed it.

Sadly, without (2) it was always inevitable that (1) would happen.

Thing is, the cab is so capable and so loud that it's overkill for the sort of pub/club gigs that I play. I downsized to a 410 but that was OTT as well, and then my bands went the PA support route so I no longer own anything biller than an ElBee 1210.

The Barefaced 610 is very portable and easy to move around, and it's about as plug'n'play as they come. The use of the guitar-type speaker for the top-right 10" driver really works well for on-stage monitoring too.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

In your 212 travels did you ever try out a Berg CN212? General impression is that it's an outstanding piece of kit and, for me, edged it over my VK210 LNT. 

No Al I haven't. The problem is you can't always get to play through the various makes that are out there making it a bit 'hit and miss', unless you catch a band with someone using one to give you an idea....

In your 212 travels did you ever try out a Berg CN212? General impression is that it's an outstanding piece of kit and, for me, edged it over my VK210 LNT. 

12 minutes ago, Orbs said:

No Al I haven't. The problem is you can't always get to play through the various makes that are out there making it a bit 'hit and miss', unless you catch a band with someone using one to give you an idea....

1 hour ago, bassfan said:

@ walshy  @bassfanthis question is for you .... FIXED 😊

Dunno whereabouts you're based Orbs, but young master bassfan uses his Berg 212 to great effect with his covers band. If you're ever in his parish, see if you can get along to hear them. Come to think of it, I might get a posse to join you 😁

Edited by Al Krow

I had a pair of CN112 for a while.

Sold them for my BF One10 pair.

The Bergs were lovely but too pushed in the mids for me. They didnt sound the same as the previous HD112 that I had.