Why become a member? ×

Where to get a truss rod allen key for MIM Precision bass neck

rze99

Hi all

I need a truss rod allen key for MIM Precision bass neck headstock end adjustment. 

Just needs a tweak so not desperate. I've got a whole bunch of allen keys and none seem to fit. Is it imperial measurements?

Any kind forum member please post me a link to the right one to by - or measurement - or if you have more than a couple hanging around sell me one directly? I'm in London.

thanks

R

I had this very issue (not long ago) with my MIM Mustang. A 3/16 allen will not fit. You need a Fender adjustment tool... not supplied with the bass, from Amazon, about £14 or you can also get a cheaper rip-off (can't vouch for those).

You can check my thread... wasn't long ago.

Maybe the allen will fit your bass... if doesn't, get the tool and save yourself further pain.

3 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I had this very issue (not long ago) with my MIM Mustang. A 3/16 allen will not fit. You need a Fender adjustment tool... not supplied with the bass, from Amazon, about £14 or you can also get a cheaper rip-off (can't vouch for those).

You can check my thread... wasn't long ago.

Maybe the allen will fit your bass... if doesn't, get the tool and save yourself further pain.

Hmm thank you maybe that's it .. because I have loads of allen keys. Is that the tool? I'll check your thread. The Fendertool says 3/16

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-American-Professional-P-Jazz-Bass-TRUSS-ROD-ADUSTMENT-Precision-SHORT/282477505503

truss.thumb.jpg.cf97747ac1035581095b3e4fcd436d96.jpg

That's the one. It is 3/16, but it has a ball end. The straight 3/16 key wouldn't work, but the ball end did. Shame on Fender for not supplying them with the bass.

My issue was dealing with the "tech" guy at Andertons who didn't have a clue about this, but gleefully informed me that my warranty was void because I let slip I'd fitted a Gotoh bridge... but that's another story.

7 minutes ago, Trueno said:

That's the one. It is 3/16, but it has a ball end. The straight 3/16 key wouldn't work, but the ball end did. Shame on Fender for not supplying them with the bass.

My issue was dealing with the "tech" guy at Andertons who didn't have a clue about this, but gleefully informed me that my warranty was void because I let slip I'd fitted a Gotoh bridge... but that's another story.

I've had one help correspondence with Andertons and never again. Total dimwit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rze99 said:

and on that point, is the "long reach" one "the one to get". Not sure why i mean the access to the headstock is easy is it not?

Yes, the long one reaches past the end of the headstock so the key can be relatively flat and more in-line to the trussrod.

• Like 1

I don't know how short the "non-long" reach one is, but it wouldn't want it to be hitting the end of the headstock while I was adjusting. Maybe the short one is for strats. I'd just get the long one... it's a sturdy old thing, won't bend.

I just made a quarter turn adjustment and that was me done. I always use the same string gauges so hopefully won't even use it again. Unless... erm... I buy a new bass...

On 28/01/2020 at 11:34, Trueno said:

Given that a Gotoh uses the same bolt holes (and even screws) and fitting one requires no modification of any kind, I respectfully suggest the bloke at Andertons was talking our of his @rse.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Given that a Gotoh uses the same bolt holes (and even screws) and fitting one requires no modification of any kind, I respectfully suggest the bloke at Andertons was talking our of his @rse.

You may be right. Plan B was to put the original back and claim he misheard me. I'm a big fan of Gotoh bridges and their forwards/backwards fitability.

Anyway... I've just ordered a KiOgon loom... so all bets are off.