Why become a member? ×

Gig bag advice

ribbetingfrog

A friend has a Traben bass, 35” scale length, overall 48” length.

it has a slightly pointy top and bottom end, like my Traben pictured below. (Mine is 34” scale so no bother)

the issue is, most gig bags only just fit, and the pointy bits soon wear holes in the bag.

Has anyone got any suggestions for gig bags that will be suitable?

875A5DBC-2840-41EB-BDBE-F2C40DAF4BCF.thumb.jpeg.fff85461862c7e679ae6a4fb4dade7c6.jpeg

If you can't find a bag with more room, try adding something to the top/bottom so that the bass wears against that rather than the bag. 

I had this with a Warwick - nothing unusual, just that the straplock at the bottom end worked it's way through the bag after months of being carried around.  I solved it with some card wrapped in gaffa tape that sat at the bottom of the bag, so that bass wore through that and i could replace it cheaply and easily every couple of months.

I know that you asked for gig bag recommendations but has he considered a hard case? The hiscox std-ebp is 49" long inside so would easily take the bass and they are about as light as they come for hard cases and very long lasting, and if you compare the prices to bags from mono etc they're very good value. 

Matt

The Hiscox is certainly the best option, but the new price if this hard case is close to the resell value of his Traben bass...

I've put my Langowski 36 inches scale and my Celinder 36 inches scale in one of these. Quite cheap, but worth every penny. If your friend is close to the store, it's worth going there and try one, or give them a call : https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/E-Bass-Softcases

54 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The Hiscox is certainly the best option, but the new price if this hard case is close to the resell value of his Traben bass...

I've put my Langowski 36 inches scale and my Celinder 36 inches scale in one of these. Quite cheap, but worth every penny. If your friend is close to the store, it's worth going there and try one, or give them a call : https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/E-Bass-Softcases

Yes the Hiscox cases aren't cheap compared to most gigbags but if the bass is wearing through them then the initial outlay will pay off, i bought my first Hiscox about 20 years ago and it's still in very good condition, i have bought about 12 of them now for various instruments and all but 3 of them secondhand and have rarely paid more than 50 quid (some have been as cheap as 30 quid!) unfortunately the EBP is one of the less common ones but does still pop up secondhand.

If you compare to a Mono M80 (as suggested very early on) then the Hiscox is actually cheap, £127 for the Hiscox vs about 170 for a M80 gigbag or 120 for the M80 bass sleeve.

Matt