What do you think about this bass ?

Emilozjad

8 hours ago, Emilozjad said:

Hi Guys 

I need help identifying age of this instrument possibly origin 

Any comments would be appreciated 

Thank you

Michael

IMG_0306.HEIC 1.28 MB · 8 downloads IMG_3225.HEIC 1.06 MB · 2 downloads IMG_4730.HEIC 1.18 MB · 2 downloads IMG_6247.HEIC 963.01 kB · 0 downloads IMG_8883.HEIC 1.34 MB · 0 downloads

Might be better to use a different download file if possible.

Aren't cello tuners normally at right angles to the pegbox and friction type, where these are in line with the pegbox and appear to be gear type. The body shape is far more bass than cello. Half or quarter size bass I'd say. Age or origin? No idea. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maude said:

Aren't cello tuners normally at right angles to the pegbox and friction type, where these are in line with the pegbox and appear to be gear type. The body shape is far more bass than cello. Half or quarter size bass I'd say. Age or origin? No idea. 

Correct re. cello tuners. Probably a small student double bass, as you say, and of Eastern European origin. Before the Far East began mass producing stringed instruments, plywood Eastern European instruments were pretty much the default economical student instruments.

• Like 1