Why become a member? ×

Stranglers Announce Final Tour

Frank Blank

From The Stranglers website...

UK tour autumn/winter 2020

The band have announced that they intend to take a step back from extensive tours with a full production in the UK and have released the details of a ‘Final Full UK Tour’ which will consist of a mammoth 21 date itinerary spanning from late October through to late November. Following the sold out Caerphilly Castle gig last year, a special Welsh show takes place at the 5000 capacity Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff where the band played with Alice Cooper in October. Mid tour, there are a pair of Scottish dates in Aberdeen and Glasgow plus a gig in Stoke, where the band haven’t played in many years. The band make a return to the City Hall in Sheffield as well as the De Montfort Hall in Leicester. Late on in the tour, there’s a show at the Manchester O2 Apollo and a Guildford hometown show before the tour finale at the O2 Academy Brixton.

Special guests for the complete tour are fan favourites Ruts DC.

😢

I went to a friend's daughter's wedding a few years back, was sitting next to this bloke, funny, didn't recognise him.  He kept on saying stuff like, 'I'm not eating, I've got to drive up to Birmingham.  I'll have a soft drink.'

At the reception, just before the food came out, he did this, 'Right, I've got to do this thing,' and pulled a radio mic out of his jacket pocket, sauntered over to a small music system and hit play.

Over dinner, he crooned over about 20 rat-pack standards; he was quite brilliant.  Turns out it was Paul Roberts, the guy who took over from Hugh Cornwell.  He was an old friend of the groom.

In the evening he sang some more, he hung around before heading north, throwing in a Stranglers medley (on which I joined him on a couple of choruses).

Lovely, lovely bloke.

saw them last year at Butlins 😲 for me the best band of the weekend, did all the punky stuff, well it it was a punk weekend, brilliant sound, but the two original members are getting on a bit now so a full tour must take its toll, doesn't say they're giving up gigging altogether, just no full blown touring.

Along with a few others on here, JJ was one of the reasons I started playing bass, when the bass kicks in on Hanging Around still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Do people still do this? Announce that this will be their "FINAL TOUR"?

Surely this must now be the most discredited marketing ploy in music for grown-ups?

hmmm...the announcement doesn't seem to be saying that they won't actually be playing any more gigs, only that they won't be doing any more full tours

Pretty sure Ozzy's tried that line a couple of times too

I think Baz is a very solid guitar player and can certainly belt a tune, but he's got that sort of wide-stanced, brutish kind of image to him that I suppose might serve the more aggro material fine, but ultimately I find a bit one-dimensional. Hugh could certainly be rough, but there's another side to him as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZilchWoolham said:

I think Baz is a very solid guitar player and can certainly belt a tune, but he's got that sort of wide-stanced, brutish kind of image to him that I suppose might serve the more aggro material fine, but ultimately I find a bit one-dimensional. Hugh could certainly be rough, but there's another side to him as well.

E.g.  the guitar in Golden Brown. Sublime.