Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT VR Cab for recording/rehearsal studio

Daniels102

Hi Guys,

First time post here so i hope i'm not doing anything wrong!

In terms of background i've played both guitar and bass for over 10 years but consider myself more of a guitarist, i have only played solid state amps for bass.

I've just got a good price on an Ampeg SVT VR - an amp i've always wanted to use and pretty much what i consider to be the gold standard for bass tone.

Now the reason for this is i'm soon going to be opening a studio in my garden. This will be purpose built and the plan is to spend enough to make it airtight and well soundproofed. Depending on the result i may rent it out for rehearsals (our town is awful for practice spaces) but in the event it isnt as quiet as id like i will just use it as a studio for recording purposes.

Now my question is: what cabinet for my SVT will be best to achieve a great sound that people would expect to get on a high quality recording? I'm assuming an 810 will be completely ridiculous and far too loud for a recording situation (as well as pissing off my neighbours).

Bear in mind i intend the soundproofing to work well and i will be doing a proper job (lots of sealing, lots of mass, 2 walls etc) and it will cost me thousands. But even so would 210av be a good option? Maybe a 410? I have all but ruled out an 810 but as i've never played through one i really have no idea what to expect volume wise.

In terms of recording i plan to use a mix of DI but offer the ampeg as the main amp sound in the studio.

Will the non master volume mean it will need to be even louder than a CL? Would i be better off getting a V4? I got what i consider to be a good price on the VR so i could sell it if it doesnt work out and not be too put out.

Apologies for the vagueness of the post but i was interersted in peoples thoughts. FYI the studio will be 2 rooms (live and control) around 3 m x 4m in size.

dan

Edited by Daniels102

For a home studio I’d say V4 and an SVT212 (which is meant be very SVT810-like) or SVT410HE should be plenty. I used a V4 into a 410 at a gig on a fairly big stage and it was n’t even pushed getting enough on stage volume (I’m not big on bass in monitors so it was doing it all).

For classic Ampegness I would say a 4x10 hlf.

However if I was renting out a studio/rehearsal place I would not be using an all valve bass head personally. Every time you have to re-tube it is going to be a very expensive job. I would also invest in a back up head.

• 2 weeks later...

ah, very good point about the rehearsal. just difficult to 'hide' the nice one for rehearsals. i do have a few cheaper SS amps for that. i got a great deal on a 4x10 hlf so will see how loud it is tomorrow when i set it all up! preparing for insane levels. not bad though, i got a svt vr for 720 and the cab for 275, cant complain for that price. will consider a v4 depending on how it goes, is the output a lot lower? are they like for like amps quality wise? what is the v4s niche/purpose?

thanks guys,