Why become a member? ×

Proposition for the budding luthiers out there

Rexel Matador

Just an idea I had...

I'm currently building my fourth bass. It's generally going very well given the short time I've been doing it and I'm sure if I continue to hone my craft and amass better equipment I'll one day produce something someone might like to buy.

In the meantime, though, I'm just making them for myself, which is all well and good, but surely the real challenge is making something to fulfil someone else's needs. As a consumer, I'm very forgiving of my own shortcomings!

So I was just wondering - if there's anyone else out there at a similar stage, i.e. able to handbuild a serviceable bass but not feeling ready (or perhaps even willing) to go into business with it. If so, perhaps we could come up with an arrangement where we build an instrument for each other? In theory it wouldn't be limited to two people - an even number could pair off and an odd number could just go round in a circle.

Obviously there would need to be further discussion to hammer out all the details, expectations, etc, but I just wanted to put it out there and see what people think. It may well have been done before on here - I wasn't sure how to word a search for something similar!

I know there are more dedicate builder's forums out there, and I might try there in due course, but I've found the community here very encouraging and it's as good a place as any to start.

• Like 5

I like the idea, sadly I cannot take part as since my school day efforts I have been banned from using a hammer and chisel if anywhere near wood!

Good luck though as I genuinely do think that it is a good idea, we all think we know how to do things and we all assume others do things the same was as us, it is not until you sit down with someone you find out that they have been doing things completely different to you, and making that work for many years!

• Haha 2

That's a fab idea. In a similar but different vein, I've exchanged various bits of amplification gear I've built with a luthier friend for a couple of of his basses in the last few years. I think it's encouraged both of us to refine our craft by bouncing ideas off each other, but beyond that, it's just plain been a lot of fun.

• Like 1