Why become a member? ×

Precision twins...

MoJoKe

This doesn't really count as a NBD post, as I have been somewhat busy!  Now I've had it for a couple of months, this is now my permanent setup for my P bass gigs.

I bought the JV '57 BFL Squier new in 1982, all the mojo is mine and genuine, and it now has a pal!  The black one is my new '83 Japanese JV PB57-95.

Playability-wise they are virtually identical, but the neck/body woods on the PB57 have a slight edge, and as it is a -95 version it has US hardware, pups and wiring.  It also has about the same amount of mojo, looking well used and loved alongside its new stablemate.

No.  Before you ask, just no!  I have always said the BFL JV would have to be prized from my cold dead hands, and the PB57 is the same...  I have Precision Perfection!

1662737665_CurrentRig.thumb.jpg.bb19bd2d251203860ea1d0468f45afaa.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you!

BTW, before anyone comments, you'd be correct in pointing out the Squier has not got the correct scratchplate on it in this pic!  It is sporting an ivory pearlescent one in the pic, but I have been pondering on either putting the original white one back, but I also have another anodised one to match the PB57... 

Do feel free to suggest your preference!

21 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

If the holes are the same, put the gold guard on for the true ‘57 vibe, and it pairs nicely with the black. Keep the off-white original one though, as it’s a rare bird. I have a set of those BFL (never heard that term before), and they are stunning! 

It is now sporting a Gold guard!

We've chatted before about JVs, I thought it was you that referred to them as BFL...  Must've been mistaken!

Sadly the original single laminate white plate it was fitted with split across the volume pot.  I do still have it, but I had Eltham Jones (when he was working at Sound Control in Bristol) make me an identical replacement.

On 27/01/2020 at 21:09, Hellzero said:

I played the JV PB57-95 and it was really well sounding, like a Precision Bass really should.

Did you put some flats on it, as I think it really deserves it ?

This one came from Jadenacre, did you play this black bass?  It really is stunning!

Regarding strings, I know you'll all get a bit sniffy about this, but they both have Elixir steels on!!!  😲😲

However, I have just landed two sets of the new Markbass Vintage flats, so they will be going on to get them set up and bedded in for my next run of gigs!