Why become a member? ×

Do speakers affect your sound?

Nicko

I've played dozens of different combinations, but have never knowingly played cabinets that have had the speakers replaced and played them pre and post.

I think I've had three distinct wow moments; an old Peavey cabinet (may have been a 4x12 or 4x10) at a studio in Woking, and old Ampeg in Brighton (6×10 or 8x10) and my 15/6 Barefaced Big One.  Ultimately though, I know my desired tone, so tweak accordingly.  These three were just great without any tweaking.

Oddly enough the rehearsal studios i use have about 12 or 13 rooms all have Ampeg 810 with usually an EBS HD360 head. Depending on room i've noted differences in tone from the cabs with amp settings remaining same. Room sizes vary a little but not much.. I've always suspected that some speakers have been replaced but no idea wheteher the good cabs have the originals speakers or replacements ? Maybe they are different age cabs ?

The good ones sound fuller and warmer yet still retain a sharpness when playing faster passages. Others are more woolly sounding where definition isn't so good. Rooms are all laid out in same manner with Marshall guitar amp one side of drums and bass cab on other side (snare side).

That to me does suggest that different speakers in same cabs will sound different. Again its probably just me that notices it as no-one else has said anything. They probably don't listen to the bass anyway. They have commented on guitarists sound tho. 

Dave  

19 hours ago, la bam said:

I'd say speakers - size, alignment, configuration and amount do make a big difference to the sound. .... but ......

That's why I dont understand people spending a fortune on cabs then di ing out of their amp to FOH.

Either mic up the cab, or get the most convienient cab for you as an on stage monitor and let the sound guy sort the sound.

Nowadays, you can add a cab sim to your amp di if that helps you get a specific sound.

I can't see the point of a cab sim. Just use EQ to get the sound you want.IME the fewer places to apply tonal changes in the signal chain the better.

All an ideal cab should do is to translate the electronic waveforms produced by the rest of your signal chain into moving air. It should be colouring the sound as little as possible.

Any inherent sound a cab has is a function of the limitations of the technology and the need to build to a particular price point.

As far as different speaker diameters in cabs go, the only assumptions that can be made is that 410s are harder to get through doorways, and an 810 requires a friend/roadie/muscular SO, or the personal physique of Andre The Giant*... Other than that, it's all down to individual cabinet and speaker design...I've played through 410s that were boomy, and 15s that were 'quick'. The only speaker size I've never liked was 18s...then again these were only one make, some ancient Peavey cabs that were the size, shape and weight of a washing machine. And sounded about as good, too...in a fit of youthful enthusiasm, I'd bought two, as they'd been moved on from a reggae PA that was being split, and they were verrry cheap...I think I had them a fortnight...

* And yes, I know that he suffered terribly from a bad back later in life...SWIDT?... 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough the rehearsal studios i use have about 12 or 13 rooms all have Ampeg 810 with usually an EBS HD360 head. Depending on room i've noted differences in tone from the cabs with amp settings remaining same. Room sizes vary a little but not much.. I've always suspected that some speakers have been replaced but no idea wheteher the good cabs have the originals speakers or replacements ? Maybe they are different age cabs ?

The good ones sound fuller and warmer yet still retain a sharpness when playing faster passages. Others are more woolly sounding where definition isn't so good. Rooms are all laid out in same manner with Marshall guitar amp one side of drums and bass cab on other side (snare side).

That to me does suggest that different speakers in same cabs will sound different. Again its probably just me that notices it as no-one else has said anything. They probably don't listen to the bass anyway. They have commented on guitarists sound tho. 

Dave  

Also the age and ammount of use a speaker has had can change the sound of two same make and model cabs.

• Like 1