Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender Vintera Mustang

bamboofrog

Today I took receipt of my first bass a Fender Vintera Mustang in sea foam green.

Bought the bass from @Grantd who made the process super simple, really nice guy and went above and beyond to get the bass to me, so thank you, definitely buy with confidence.F46B237C-305A-4BF2-8A04-2BA83A4BDD26.thumb.jpeg.2e4d2b9ac243d0c47258a008173649d7.jpeg7AB42997-5DB3-4949-80F7-00F62793605E.thumb.jpeg.5392c6603a80d29fb52a6cf91fa3ac6e.jpeg0E1153F9-CF49-4908-BE34-B54D6DE115A6.thumb.jpeg.23a0ef9481273967cdb8f2e1d0c4c1e6.jpeg12734D29-8902-4C92-8F83-77222F3122D3.thumb.jpeg.d28f9948339b5b5c9c76562603ff3197.jpegA1939119-A014-46D4-A79C-2B2543AA5BE1.thumb.jpeg.909a64679c9a28deff242e40c77c70b4.jpeg

Really chuffed with this bass, should give me a solid platform to learn from and more importantly makes me smile.

• Like 18

Nice! - the seafoam green looks great. I quite fancy getting a sunburst vintera mustang, but as I already have a CIJ mustang and a JMJ - both brilliant basses, I really don't *need* another.

I do wonder why Fender sell these (and the JMJ) with long scale gigbags included. Surely they could do a premium version of the short scale urban gigbag that used to be available.

• Like 1

An in addition to the lack of gig bags, I don't understand why Fender don't seem to make replacement Mustang scratchplates either.

I love my MIJ Mustang bass, and would love a pearl white plate to go on it, but genuine Fender replacement scratchplates seem impossible to come by despite a pretty extensive range of 'correct' style Mustangs (MIJ/CIJ, JMJ, Vintera series, Classic Vibes and American Performer series).

5 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

An in addition to the lack of gig bags, I don't understand why Fender don't seem to make replacement Mustang scratchplates either.

I love my MIJ Mustang bass, and would love a pearl white plate to go on it, but genuine Fender replacement scratchplates seem impossible to come by despite a pretty extensive range of 'correct' style Mustangs (MIJ/CIJ, JMJ, Vintera series, Classic Vibes and American Performer series).

You could try Jack's Instruments in Manchester. He made me an excellent pickguard for my Hofner Ignition Club bass... much better than the nasty original. Probably cost about 40 quid if you're willing to pay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trueno said:

You could try Jack's Instruments in Manchester. He made me an excellent pickguard for my Hofner Ignition Club bass... much better than the nasty original. Probably cost about 40 quid if you're willing to pay.

Ah sound! I'll try that. These ones at WD Music but they cost about £65. 

• 4 months later...
On 27/01/2020 at 15:45, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Nice! - the seafoam green looks great. I quite fancy getting a sunburst vintera mustang, but as I already have a CIJ mustang and a JMJ - both brilliant basses, I really don't *need* another.

I do wonder why Fender sell these (and the JMJ) with long scale gigbags included. Surely they could do a premium version of the short scale urban gigbag that used to be available.

I’ve got a sunburst vintera with TI flats on. I’ve got PBass GAS. So could be tempted to sell for £650 inc shipping. It’s a superb bass I have 2 short scale and 2 long scale already 

Good choice! Got my identical bass strung with flats and fretboard dyed a bit darker.

I found the truss rod needed tightening to get the action where I wanted it (now at 1.5mm) but if you've bought used, I imagine the previous owner has sorted it.

IMG_20200618_194904__01.jpg

Edited by foxyFuze

• 5 months later...
On 18/06/2020 at 14:48, foxyFuze said:

Good choice! Got my identical bass strung with flats and fretboard dyed a bit darker.

I found the truss rod needed tightening to get the action where I wanted it (now at 1.5mm) but if you've bought used, I imagine the previous owner has sorted it.

IMG_20200618_194904__01.jpg

Fretboard looks great. What did you use to darken it?

Wow! Quick reply. Many thanks! I found a Vintera Mustang here in the States for cheap, but the fretboard doesn't do it for me. Needs to be darker to have that vintage vibe.

Haven't had the chance to A/B it with my American Performer Mustang, but it also cost half of the American model....maybe I'll learn to love the Vintera?

1 hour ago, Studio GC said:

Wow! Quick reply. Many thanks! I found a Vintera Mustang here in the States for cheap, but the fretboard doesn't do it for me. Needs to be darker to have that vintage vibe.

Haven't had the chance to A/B it with my American Performer Mustang, but it also cost half of the American model....maybe I'll learn to love the Vintera?

No problem. I would be interested to hear the difference!