Why become a member? ×

Changing pickups in Flea Jazz Bass

dave74200

Hi all. I love this bass but the pickups aren't hot enough for my liking so I'm hoping to change them for some Seymour Duncan ones. Will this be an issue due to the stacked knob controls? Obviously most jazzes are volume, volume, tone and this one isn't.

Just hoping it would be an easy swap. Thanks in advance for any help or advice, Dave.

3 hours ago, dave74200 said:

Hi all. I love this bass but the pickups aren't hot enough for my liking so I'm hoping to change them for some Seymour Duncan ones. Will this be an issue due to the stacked knob controls? Obviously most jazzes are volume, volume, tone and this one isn't.

Just hoping it would be an easy swap. Thanks in advance for any help or advice, Dave.

If you sell the flea pups I’d be interested dude

19 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

The pups in that bass are excellent, like REALLY good imo. 

Spec: American-made Pure Vintage ’64 Jazz Bass single-coil pickups.

They are growly and loud....I think.

They are lovely pickups mate but they don't suit the heavy rock band I play in.

Turn up your amps bass and volume more? 

Otherwise Dimarzio Model Js are brill. 

If you do change pups, instead of getting the soldering iron out just cut the wires of the pickups a couple of inches from the pots and install small Connector blocks on each one. You can then easily try different pickups to your hearts content just by using a small screwdriver. 

• Like 3

The Flea Jazz pickups are so loud and aggressive, I'm very surprised they didn't suit the rock sound.  They sounded excellent in my Power Metal band of the time!

But glad the SD's are working out for you!

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 10:02, dave74200 said:

Just to update. Changed them for SD Quarter Pounders and it’s definitely the right decision for me. Gives me that thump and high response I love. Gigged then last night and they were amazing. Horses for courses I guess!!

LOL!

Just twigged who you are Dave...

I have to admit categorically NO shortage of thump on Saturday night 🙂

• 1 month later...

Saw @dave24421 last night, playing the Flea with Dunlop 1/4 pounders through a Bass Terror and 6x10.

Really great 'growling' sound but what struck me was how it kept plenty of power behind the sound right up past the 12th fret, without any compression.

Dropped D last song and I could feel my insides wobbling 20 feet from the rig 🙂!

• Like 1