Why become a member? ×

Precision v Precision Special?

Soledad

Anyone advise me what to expect from a Special with the back Jazz p'up and 3 pots (I assume VVT?). I'm a lifelong P user (USA Fenders) but never tried a Special and I might be interested - only if it's exactly a P when you dial in the front split p'up alone, and then get some othe usable sounds with the Jazz p'up or blends of the 2.
User feedback most welcome please.

The only one I’ve had was the Duff McKagan Sig. Some people say that with a  PJ the P never sounds exactly P even with the J turned fully down, as said J is still in the loop, but I never noticed that. It’s something I’ve been looking at again as it happens but they - Fender - don’t do exactly what I want so looks like I’ll have to go without.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Some people say that with a  PJ the P never sounds exactly P even with the J turned fully down, as said J is still in the loop, but I never noticed that.

Yep, that's it I think. If the presence of the J in the circuit takes anything at all from the core P sound then it's a no for me. After all, the P does one single thing very well, and if that is compromised by adding the J... I might as well use my Jazz. Do think the J p'up would make a great thumb rest for me though :)

Slightly wonder about a modded circuit with push/pull on one pot to isolate the J out altogether... or just stick with a straight classic P and get back to work.

I've calmed down now. There was a '98 USA P Special in Bass Direct that I very nearly bought yesterday, but when I finally got through to them it was on hold. Just as well... buying blind, on a whim and all that.
Sometime soon I'll get my hands on one and see what they are all about. I think if I get a good P sound off the split p'up I'll probably get one for a while. Note to self - don't need it, stop buying stuff for no good reason. 

• Like 1

I had one for a while and it was a very well made instrument but the version I had could not be switched from active to passive and I eventually came round to thinking that active's werent really my thing. I sold it to a bc'er and ironically ended up buying a passive P from him a couple of years later. I don't recall it not sounding like a P when the J (actually it was more of a 'doubleJ', more like a musicman PU) was turned down.

On 27/01/2020 at 08:32, dave_bass5 said:

Just remember not all P basses sound the same anyway, its a case of use your ears to see if you like it. A change of string can make much more difference than having a second pup on the bass and not using it.

^ I'll second this. My Precision copy sounds subtly different from my P/J with the P-pickup soloed, but then the former has a Fender '62 pickup, and the latter has a Duncan SPB-2. Worth noting that the P-pickup is very slightly closer to the bridge on my P/J as well. Next to one another, you'll hear a difference, but I don't think you could listen to either of them and declare that one didn't sound like a Precision.

8 hours ago, KevB said:

I had one for a while and it was a very well made instrument but the version I had could not be switched from active to passive

I guess there are active variants around but the one I fancied (still do to be frank) is passive, just the way I like 'em.

I have owned a fair few Fender Ps and I accept there are subtle differences in sound but I concur with @EliasMooseblaster - every one of my USA Ps sounded like a P. I suppose I just fancy a back thumbrest :)

Oh, and a change of colour... change your colour, change your luck.

I think the only way to get a fair comparison is to A/B the same bass but with a J pickup in the bridge.

My Squier P/J sounded noticeably different to my MIJ P - not sure if that was because of the J pickup, or the fact that the P pickups were different, Agathis v. Alder, etc.

I'd be inclined to go with the latter if I had to guess.

Sure @karlfer might be able to help here. Think he's had a couple of the passive PJ  versions.

Mine is active and even with passive mode the P on its own just doesn't have that P tone.

My Sandberg VM4 is the same altho its closer to a P than my P deluxe when solo'd on P pick up on passive mode.

I therefore have a fancy for a standard P bass (curently looking at Vintera range) GAS is so hurtful.

Dave

29 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Cheers @dodgywigsrus, sorry,  @dmccombe7  😲

I have found that passive PJ's don't quite get that classic thump, however, if I use the "deep" switch on the Mesa, thar she blows.

Think that's why i might go down the route of a decent P bass and sell my P Deluxe bass.

I've never liked the way they look. That PJ combination is like a Frankenstein for me, a ruined perfectly designed P bass. 

If I wanted that kind of a sound, I would go for whole different brand and look. But that's just my taste.

On 28/01/2020 at 12:55, Davo-London said:

If the objection to the J in a PJ is a wiring issue, couldn't there be a wiring scheme that keeps them separate.  For example a switchable P-only to P+J.  Just asking!

Peace

Davo

Yep, and just to confuse matters further there are several different ways they can be wired in before even resorting to switchable pots, so to suggest they never quite sound the same is a statement so broad it's almost completely untrue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Obra said:

I've never liked the way they look. That PJ combination is like a Frankenstein for me, a ruined perfectly designed P bass.

I can see where you're coming from - they don't look like a "pair," in the same way that they do on a Jazz or a Thunderbird, for example. I've often wondered why P/P didn't become a more popular combination.