Why become a member? ×

70s Rickenbacker 4001 /4003 copy

RichardD22

9 minutes ago, prowla said:

Anybody who pays £1000 for a faker is a mug.

I'd have to agree.  I have a ceiling price in my mind for a faker and it is well short of £500.  Let's see what pops up - after all it is only to satisfy curiosity on my part.

'Curiosity' is my new replacement word for 'GAS' in this new shiny independent UK.  There are implied negative connotations of weakness and submission with GAS whereas curiosity is such a positive thing, so full of optimism.  🤨

• Haha 2

Yep, and the first four are all from the USA so there's duty and VAT and postage and all that Jazz (!), and the fifth one, which was actually in the UK, if you look at the original listing is right handed!

Every one I've seen for sale in the UK, left handed, has been north of £1500. Hence my interest in a decent (if there is one) copy. If I got on well with that, I'm unlikely to lose much on it if I then splashed out on the genuine article. Which may or may not be any better depending on what you read, who you believe and how good Ric's quality control was that week. Apparently. I've never played one so I don't know how they play and judging by the comments generally about how well set up demo models are in guitar emporiums, simply going and trying one may not provide much enlightenment. If I could find a decent copy at a sensible price,  preferably from someone on here who knows the wheat from the chaff (are you out there Bassassassin? lol) I'd be interested. But chucking £1500 plus at it on a maybe? Not a chance. My "Curiosity" is not that strong.

@phil.c60 I'd say join the FB Rickenfakers group, Fakers are bought & sold regularly there, prices are often less eye-watering than elsewhere & Mr Hall has so far left the group to its own devices. Lefties are really rare, but do turn up - that's where the Kasuga pics came from.

Different matter for the modern Chinese copies, which are far more available in l/h but they're not accurate at all, and really only have a cosmetic resemblance to actual Ricks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

@phil.c60 I'd say join the FB Rickenfakers group, Fakers are bought & sold regularly there, prices are often less eye-watering than elsewhere & Mr Hall has so far left the group to its own devices. Lefties are really rare, but do turn up - that's where the Kasuga pics came from.

Different matter for the modern Chinese copies, which are far more available in l/h but they're not accurate at all, and really only have a cosmetic resemblance to actual Ricks.

Thanks mate, I'll do that. I'm in no rush, it's just a burst of "enthusiasm" so I'll keep a weather eye out, and if something comes up may well pm you for an opinion.

I'm sad to hear about the dearth of lefty models, as there were just as many lefties as righties at Rickenbacker's booth at NAMM. Yes, I know - we're talking mostly fakers rather than originals here, and what is at a show is not necessarily what is actually sent to/requested by the shops. But don't lose faith. :)

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

I was watching one on eBay that finished this morning - 70s CMI in scruffy, used condition but essentially sound.  It fetched £410 which is a decent chunk more than I would want to pay for one. 

Really? You think the final price on that auction was way over an above for what you'd pay for it? Why?

Well, a decent chunk more than I would want to pay for one is not the same as 'a decent chunk more than it is worth'.  2 different things.  I guess we all have a ceiling price in our heads when we look for something.  For me this is just curiosity about a type of bass I haven't bought into yet, so I don't want to pay lots.  It might be that that I won't ever find one for the sort of money I am prepared to punt on one and if that's the case then fair enough.  :) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Really? You think the final price on that auction was way over an above for what you'd pay for it? Why?

Well, that particular one was in a bit of a state, with the neck detaching from the body and the fingerboard coming away at the headstock end. 
I have one of those in better nick. 

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

Well, a decent chunk more than I would want to pay for one is not the same as 'a decent chunk more than it is worth'.  2 different things.  I guess we all have a ceiling price in our heads when we look for something.  For me this is just curiosity about a type of bass I haven't bought into yet, so I don't want to pay lots.  It might be that that I won't ever find one for the sort of money I am prepared to punt on one and if that's the case then fair enough.  :) 

A good one is probably in the £500 range. 

• Sad 1

Well, I managed to get one on eBay for slightly below my ceiling price, much to my surprise.  Unbranded but it sounds 'right' - 70s, MIJ, pics look like 'all the others'.  Could be a complete lemon, of course :)  Should be arriving this week so I'll find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Well, I managed to get one on eBay for slightly below my ceiling price, much to my surprise.  Unbranded but it sounds 'right' - 70s, MIJ, pics look like 'all the others'.  Could be a complete lemon, of course :)  Should be arriving this week so I'll find out soon enough.

Interested in hearing about that.👍

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/02/2020 at 12:59, Paul S said:

Well, I managed to get one on eBay for slightly below my ceiling price, much to my surprise.  Unbranded but it sounds 'right' - 70s, MIJ, pics look like 'all the others

The unbrandedness of 70s Japanese fakers means nothing really. 

I have an Aria RB 750, but the trussrod cover is missing so it's now just a Matsumoku made faker. If they'd screwed something else on in the factory then it would be something else. The factory is more important than the brand, well not important but you know what I mean. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AugeK said:

I just scored a Grand Suzuki Rickenbacker copy. Can’t find anything on the Internet. 
Anyone who knows anything about this bass?

https://pin.it/18MND4O

If you can post clear, detailed pics that would be very helpful. I have not seen a Suzuki-branded Rick copy before, so it would be good to get a look at yours.

There were actually two separate manufacturers called Suzuki, although established by the same family - Grand Suzuki was a brand of Kiso Suzuki Violin. Best known for acoustics, like many factories they produced good-quality electric guitars & basses during the 70s & 80s.

If you use FaceBook, this is a great group for Rick copy enthusiasts, and they'd be fascinated to see another new brand/manufacturer of these come to light.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/78514186083

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

If you can post clear, detailed pics that would be very helpful. I have not seen a Suzuki-branded Rick copy before, so it would be good to get a look at yours.

There were actually two separate manufacturers called Suzuki, although established by the same family - Grand Suzuki was a brand of Kiso Suzuki Violin. Best known for acoustics, like many factories they produced good-quality electric guitars & basses during the 70s & 80s.

If you use FaceBook, this is a great group for Rick copy enthusiasts, and they'd be fascinated to see another new brand/manufacturer of these come to light.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/78514186083

I just payed € 16 for the bass on a flea market and gave it away to our bass player as an objekt. It needs a lot of love, a lot.

But I’ll get some more and better pics.

Btw, Thanx for the fast answer. :)

• 1 year later...

The writing is in Japanese.(katakana)

チェリーサンバースト

‘Cherry Sunburst’

Actually last two letters are hidden so I just guessed, but I think ‘Cherry Sunbur’ won’t mean anything else… haha

I’m not sure about the manufacturer tho

Edited by BLK1818