Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

57 minutes ago, Kev said:

Oh dear.  How on earth will that hold up on the road?!!  Looks a poor design for sure, however pretty it is.

When I bought mine I was told "It's not for throwing in vans or taking on tour, but if you handle your own gear and take it in the car..."

Which is fair enough, if you are moving loads of gear and have help, then a wooden cab make sense. This is the version for people like me who transport their own kit and take care of it.

On 05/05/2022 at 14:57, Geddys nose said:

I bought the transit damaged Barefaced BT3 from Bassdirect last month it was damaged more than this with feet pushed through the cab and a hole in the top, bit of glue and cab stippling and it like new. 

Like anything look after it and it stays new. My GR BassAT212 are like new after 3 months of owning them .

That's a real shame.

Looking at the design it looks like some minor design/material changes could fix at least some of the corner protection issues.  A more substantial plastic corner piece that was less prone to cracking on impact for example or even changing out for metal?  

On 05/05/2022 at 14:57, Geddys nose said:

I bought the transit damaged Barefaced BT3 from Bassdirect last month it was damaged more than this with feet pushed through the cab and a hole in the top, bit of glue and cab stippling and it like new. 

Good news - it arrived with me damaged and I rejected it as I was wasn’t convinced my DIY skills would fix it up. Glad it went to a good home :) Hopefully the packaging was better with you than it had been for me…

5 hours ago, Merton said:

Good news - it arrived with me damaged and I rejected it as I was wasn’t convinced my DIY skills would fix it up. Glad it went to a good home :) Hopefully the packaging was better with you than it had been for me…

Small world, my Dads a retired cabinet maker  so has a load of stuff to fix wood back to near new.  TBH anything this big will test the packaging however they pack it if the drops big enough., really nothing

to do with the construction of the cab more the carefulness of the courier.

Its a great cab BTW worth trying another.

• Like 1

I'd agree sometimes the shipping, erm, professionals can break anything, no matter how well constructed; I received a brand new 215 Schroeder cab which had been shipped from Sweden years ago, it had been dropped so hard one of the feet was driven through the bottom of the (very substantial) cab, and there was a big thumpy rattle when I moved it. One of the magnets had sheared off the back of the speaker inside.

• Sad 1

On 05/05/2022 at 16:23, Stub Mandrel said:

When I bought mine I was told "It's not for throwing in vans or taking on tour, but if you handle your own gear and take it in the car..."

Which is fair enough, if you are moving loads of gear and have help, then a wooden cab make sense. This is the version for people like me who transport their own kit and take care of it.

That's fair enough if you are told the limitations of a piece of equipment. I know that wehn I am tired after a gig though, even the lightest item hits a doorframe or the edge of the boot of the car. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

That's fair enough if you are told the limitations of a piece of equipment. I know that wehn I am tired after a gig though, even the lightest item hits a doorframe or the edge of the boot of the car. 

The padded cover is enough to cope with that.

There's obviously a market for it, but it seems to take lightweight unnecessarily far.  At this point, surely the size and awkwardness of a cab is more of a problem than weight.  I had Gen 2 Barefaced and they felt fragile, certainly wouldn't imagine a need for something even thinner and lighter.  Is it just all aesthetics?

I don't think wrapping a cab in bubble wrap every time it leaves the house is a great thing.  Surely the whole point in it being lightweight is so its moved around easier?  The marketing also seems to imply improved strength, not really seeing an emphasis on treating them with unusual care?  I take very great care of all my equipment, but yeah, Ill still knock it from time to time.  I feel like with this it would be a quick panic check every time it happened... 

Honestly, as an owner of a GR AT410+ I have not had any concerns about fragility. I've had mine for 8-9 months give or take, and as I've said before I use it once or twice a week where it gets loaded in and out of a car, through the narrow corridors of the practice rooms, it has bits and pieces sitting on top of it all the time, it goes up and down stairs etc. I have had zero problems with it and more so I've never thought to myself 'I need to walk on eggshells with the cab' 

Sure it will withstand less hammer blows that a 13-ply birch Mesa Powerhouse cab, but at the end of the day every other bit of gear we use (pedals, basses, amps etc) are definitely more fragile than these cabs so it's all a moot point! 

These don't crumble when you look at them, they are perfectly serviceable and as strong as any reasonable person needs them to be.

• Like 2

The only cab I've ever managed to physically damage was my old Laney 4x10 Pro-Bass combo back in the 80s. And that's because it was in the boot of my Viva when I wrote it off by tailending (and completely destroying) a Datsun 120Y.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Speaking about the GR bass amp, how would you describe the GR tone ?

I have a first version Tecamp Puma 500 (powersoft module) that I'm no more confident with to play on my occasional big gigs.

I would describe its tone as : big pillowy lows, very soft mids and realy clear and sparkling high ends.

Would you say that the GR one 800 is in the same ball park and so would pair quite well with my Tecamp S212 classic ?

Thanks

PS : I'm aware that this is a AT cab thread but it seems that there is no official general GR bass thread.

@Shiveringbass - GR amps are quite transparent, with the EQ section set to flat you'll basically be amplifying the tone of your bass with no real additional colour. If you do use the EQ section, then it can be anything from deep thumping bass to glassy HiFi highs dependent on how you set it. I'm using a GR Dual 1400 alongside a GR AT410+ and am very happy with sound. I tend to lean towards a more HiFi tone, but having played around with it I can certainly get some very woofy lows if needed. The only minor gripe I have is the noise from the cooling fan, this kicks in periodically and while isn't an issue at all when playing, it is noticeable when not playing. If you're happy with the tone of your bass, you'll be happy with a GR amp.

Edited by binky_bass

Thanks @Binky_bass. I'm using Tecamp and Glockenklang amplification so I suppose that GR, from your opinion, should be in the same tone family.

The effect powering alsos seems like a great idea. Could you elaborate a bit on how does it work ?

Do you simply have to plug a multi-plug power cable or is it another proprietary solution ?  

Thanks

I've never used it if I'm honest as I run a Helix Floor and that requires an IEC power lead. It looks like you can plug in anything that runs at 9v 300ma, you can download the manual from the GR website, best consult that! 

The fact each channel runs at 1400w independently, with channel 2 having a very useful built in overdrive was the selling point for me! Oh, and don't forget the built in tuner! Always good to have one of those. :)

Edited by binky_bass

• 2 months later...
On 01/09/2021 at 07:50, Merton said:

I reckon that is sound logic. I’m seriously considering their Pure Amp 800, to be run from the preamp on my pedalboard into my BF10s (a third of which would be possible with that amp). They could be the next Basschat fad hahaha 😝 

Or just get the ONE and flip the pure switch. Then you have an EQ for the room if needed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sk8 said:

Or just get the ONE and flip the pure switch. Then you have an EQ for the room if needed. 

This also works!

I’m no longer on the GR path, having acquired stupidly powerful Glockenklang and Trace Elliot amps in the last 12 months or so 😬

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, la bam said:

I'm really struggling to understand the way bass manufacturers are going now with all this frfr and now powered cabs built for pre amps - arent they just selling active PA speakers or am I missing something?

I know GSS sell an active cabinet and Barefaced used to have one but I don’t know any other bass manufacturers who offer them.

I’m definitely interested in learning more about the GR Aerotech active cabinet (particular the price and options) because I always use a Trickfish Minnow preamp/DI anyway.

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I'm really struggling to understand the way bass manufacturers are going now with all this frfr and now powered cabs built for pre amps - arent they just selling active PA speakers or am I missing something?

I think how F the first of the FRs is will be something that differentiates active bass cabs from active PA speakers, where for extended bass subwoofers would normally be used.

Given that there still hasn't been any further word on the natural fibre cabs, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for further details.

Intended to be used with a preamp.

Funnily enough I was thinkg yesterday of reboxing my Joyo BadAss with a PSU  and a 500W class d driver. Only wesk point is lack of balanced di and a noise gate on the compression. Both could be added...

Something like the Joyo using the fx send with a powered cab would work well for effect-sparse blues rock.

Edited by Stub Mandrel