Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

The UK went officially metric in 1973. However, the British are a nation of shopkeepers, of the variety that can't manage to adapt to the modern world, so it's all got stuck.

However, that's a diversion from GR Bass - I'm now thinking of selling my BF BB2 and Tecamp Puma 900, and replacing them with an AT Cube 800. Less weight, fewer items, and similar power. I'm playing pub gigs with an acoustic guitarist, keyboard player, and a percussionist on cajon and bongoes rather than a drummer, so I don't have to turn it up to full whack - I did try using a BF One10 but it seemed to be breaking up at just short of the volume I needed. Does this sound like a reasonably apples to apples swap?

• Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 12:36, Al Krow said:

I'm clearly part of a minority then in being comfortable with being told how much folks' basses weigh in lbs and also clearly deluded in thinking that our speed limits are still stated in mph, despite it apparently being an imperial measure which is not in "wide use in the UK" 😁

I’m the same, if someone tells me a bass is 9.5lbs I know how that bass is going to feel for a 3hr practice, but if someone said another bass is 4kg I’d have to convert to lbs. 

And not just re basses, someone who is 6ft tall and 11 stone I know is going to be rather slim. Tell me they’re 70 or 80kg and I’ve no idea. Similarly tell me a chap is 1.75metres tall, no clues, but 6ft1, a tad taller than me. 

For anyone thinking I’ve done the math wrong, I’ve just made up numbers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

The UK went officially metric in 1973. However, the British are a nation of shopkeepers, of the variety that can't manage to adapt to the modern world, so it's all got stuck.

However, that's a diversion from GR Bass - I'm now thinking of selling my BF BB2 and Tecamp Puma 900, and replacing them with an AT Cube 800. Less weight, fewer items, and similar power. I'm playing pub gigs with an acoustic guitarist, keyboard player, and a percussionist on cajon and bongoes rather than a drummer, so I don't have to turn it up to full whack - I did try using a BF One10 but it seemed to be breaking up at just short of the volume I needed. Does this sound like a reasonably apples to apples swap?

I reckon that is sound logic. I’m seriously considering their Pure Amp 800, to be run from the preamp on my pedalboard into my BF10s (a third of which would be possible with that amp). They could be the next Basschat fad hahaha 😝 

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

I had a BB2 and sold it for 2x BFone10s. I found the one10s broke up a bit soon for my liking. I now have an AT210 and an AT112. The AT112 is same as the combo and sounds good. I haven't pushed it as far as the BB2, but it gives more clean power than the BF10s. I like the sound if the AT cabs more than the BFs. Time will tell how the Carbon cabs stand up to wear and tear, but mine are carefully carried in my own car, not thrown in the back of a van.

Edited by MOSCOWBASS
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

I had a BB2 and sold it for 2x BFone10s. I found the one10s broke up a bit soon for my liking. I now have an AT210 and an AT112. The AT112 is same as the combo and sounds good. I haven't pushed it as far as the BB2, but it gives more clean power than the BF10s. I like the sound if the AT cabs more than the BFs. Time will tell how the Carbon cabs stand up to wear and tear, but mine are carefully carried in my own car, not thrown in the back of a van.

I'd be interested to hear what it is that you like about the sound of the AT cabs compared to the Barefaced?   I did have the BB2 for a while so I'd be interested to know what the differences are.

1 hour ago, Pirellithecat said:

I'd be interested to hear what it is that you like about the sound of the AT cabs compared to the Barefaced?   I did have the BB2 for a while so I'd be interested to know what the differences are.

I was always fighting with too much boom on the BB2 and being told to turn down. The At cabs have a nicer mid presence...in my opinion. The At112 is 450 watts, so the BB2 will probably go louder, i didnt get to compare them side by side. The BF One10s just didnt have enough volume before breaking up, especially the low B's Both AT210 and 112 handle the low B much better....louder and clearer without breakup. I had various BF cabs over the last 10 years, they are good and lightweight, but I'm liking the GR bass cabs better now. Very difficult to quantify exactly why, they just stand out in the mix without being overpowering and sound nice to my ears. I don't play excessively loud, I work with a big band, jazz quartet and some function bands

Edited by MOSCOWBASS
  • Like 1

I haven't had a BF speaker so I can't offer a comparison.

A low B on the AT212 sounds a bit 'flabby' to me, it doesn't break up but almost sounds like a rapid series of pulses, I wodner is this is because it's close to its resonant frequency?

That aside,  I keep getting plaudits about the sound from the cab. I've used it with a 35+ year old Laney head, a Bass terror and an Elf and every time I get compliments about how good it sounds. It's also scary loud, you don't need to turn amps up a lot with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

I was always fighting with too much boom on the BB2 and being told to turn down. The At cabs have a nicer mid presence...in my opinion. The At112 is 450 watts, so the BB2 will probably go louder, i didnt get to compare them side by side. The BF One10s just didnt have enough volume before breaking up, especially the low B's Both AT210 and 112 handle the low B much better....louder and clearer without breakup. I had various BF cabs over the last 10 years, they are good and lightweight, but I'm liking the GR bass cabs better now. Very difficult to quantify exactly why, they just stand out in the mix without being overpowering and sound nice to my ears. I don't play excessively loud, I work with a big band, jazz quartet and some function bands

Just wondering whether the boom you were getting on your BB2 could have been dealt with by cutting the bass EQ on your bass or amp a touch, rather than reducing the overall volume? I can't remember now whether you've held onto your BB2 or now moved it on? 

• Like 1

I felt that with my Big Twin II, although my sound was very trebly/twangy/aggressive the low end on the E string seemed to boom a bit. Any reduction in low end and the rest of the strings sounded like elastic bands and lowering the pickup under the E just meant it was then much quieter than the other strings.

To be fair I have to say that was the only BF cab I had that issue with, and have had a fair few over the years. Some cabs just don’t seem to suit what you’re doing as much as others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just wondering whether the boom you were getting on your BB2 could have been dealt with by cutting the bass EQ on your bass or amp a touch, rather than reducing the overall volume? I can't remember now whether you've held onto your BB2 or now moved it on? 

I sold my BB2, also before I got the mesa d800+ pedal with the HPF

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

To be fair I have to say that was the only BF cab I had that issue with, and have had a fair few over the years. Some cabs just don’t seem to suit what you’re doing as much as others.

My guess is that a BT2 isn't the cab to use in a punk band.

My first Barefaced cab was a BB2. The difference between it and my previous cabs was a shock (mostly the amount of bass response) and I spent all my time trying to tame the bass. I emailed Alex and his reply was, "Why did you buy one of those? I'd have recommended a Super Compact!" I bought the SC and that was it. "My" sound.

So buying the right cab is the first lesson.  The second lesson is that a new cab won't sound like your old cab. Never does. I have recalibrated my ears and now I have a BB2 that I am happy with. There isn't any boom, but there is way more bass than with many cabs. I don't see that as a down side. If it's too much then Alex has more appropriate cabs available.

• Like 4

Picked up a GR AT410+ last weekend, absolutely fantastic. The sound is pretty transparent - I'm using it with a Kemper Profiler head and it really articulates the difference in rig profiles very well indeed.

Being able to switch between profiles from a Mesa 400+, Aguilar DB751, Markbass TA501 and Darkglass 900 with a single stomp and for the cab to really showcase the differences is superb. 

In fact I liked it so much I bought a GR AT208 yesterday to keep upstairs in my little studio. 

I think GR have re-set the benchmark with these cabs. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I think GR have re-set the benchmark with these cabs. 

I wanted a backup, and had to settle for a Phil Jones C2 as it's just about the only thing that's smaller and lighter!

Like a fule I ordered a red one and it's nearly three months' wait.

33 minutes ago, gorandelac said:

I have BB2, BT2 and small One10 for small gigs, I just love them... would like to try GR cabs, I already got GR head... but still with Barefaced my GAS is really low :)

Which head? The 800 Pure looks interesting. Does anyone on BC use one?

I use very little EQ from the preamp, just the amps baked in sound, so I'm wondering if my basses will sound good with no EQ at all.

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I use very little EQ from the preamp, just the amps baked in sound, so I'm wondering if my basses will sound good with no EQ at all.

When I tried out the cab at BD I used the GR800 with all the EQ dead flat, got a lovely range of tones from a USA Jazz. Also used it with sub bass up a bit just to 'prove' the bass handling.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I like the look of that amp too…

On 02/09/2021 at 15:03, binky_bass said:

In fact I liked it so much I bought a GR AT208 yesterday to keep upstairs in my little studio. 

How capable is the 2x8?

I've always been intrigued by little cabs like that. Currently using some older 1x10s but I wonder ifore modern 2x8s would do just as well of not better...

Eude

I've not yet played through the AT208, will do this weekend. Though I expect no matter what way you slice it a 2x8 would 'perform' better than a 1x10 given a 1x10 only has 78% the speaker surface area of a 2x8 which would mean the 2x8 has more ability to shift air. 

This AT208 is 500w at 8 ohm so should be plenty loud enough for most reasonable applications. The AT410+ doesn't add any colour to the sound so I'd expect the AT208 to be removed same, maybe a little punchier given the smaller cone size. But for its weight it is super powerful! 

• Like 1