Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

My experience with BF big baby t and Big Baby 2 compared to my GR 210 and 112 is that the bottom end is bigger on the BF's. I don't have my BF's any more to do a side by side comparison, but I was always fighting a bit of boom with the BF's. That's why I bought a pair of BF one10s, and they were much better for me, although had to boost top a bit to compensate for lack of tweeters. At the end of the day I was left looking for more volume on occasions, I was pushing the one10s as far as I could without breakup. 

I bought the GR at210 to add to the BF one10s, but the GR 210 was much louder than the 2 one10s and didn't pair too well. So the one10s went and I got the GR at112h instead. I think the BB2 was more FRFR than the GR cabs....although I've still to gig the GRs, only played in the house so far. I like the tighter sound from the GRs. I would be interested to try the GR at110s that are now out....had they been out when I bought the at112, I may have gone for a pair of these instead, to go with the at210.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just looking at the cab (the normal/non-slim AT212 4ohm to be precise), rather than the GR heads: my DG M900, having had a bit of attention as you know, should be just fine for a while yet. And I suspect that the GR head light show could be a distraction! 

I'm intrigued by any 2x12 4ohm cab that is the same weight as my 1x12 8ohm BF BB2, which until now was lightest in its field, given its full frequency range and power handling (the BF Super Compact being a cut down version on both of these fronts). I've always felt that 2x12 seemed to be the perfect set up for me, as a one cab solution, but portability (again as you already know!) was the constraint for me starting with my Mesa PH212 and ending with the Berg CN212, but which were frankly both superb cabs. 

From what I've heard from @johnpaulbassthe GR cabs are even more FRFR than Barefaced (he had the Super Compact previously) so it will be going in the opposite direction to the sweeter, more coloured, Mesa and Berg 212 cabs I previously had. But @MOSCOWBASS, having been a BF cab user for a decade, has recently moved to a GR Aerotech rig and so far has also been very positive, so it augurs well. 

One says more FRFR than the other says less FRFR than... The joy of gear eh! 😀

FWIW I love a 212 cab- mine is quick and responsive and seems to enjoy getting fed more watts. It just feels like it can keep going and while my single 8ohm 112 is a capable one box solution a 212 really stands out as being bigger and better. Just something great about 212’s. Have you pulled the trigger or still deliberating? I don’t think the few kG’s lighter would sway me to change but I’m sure they’re decent cabs. Probably a fuller sound in the non slim configuration but vim only basing that on my 212M compared to its 212S counterpart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krispn said:

One says more FRFR than the other says less FRFR than... The joy of gear eh! 😀

FWIW I love a 212 cab- mine is quick and responsive and seems to enjoy getting fed more watts. It just feels like it can keep going and while my single 8ohm 112 is a capable one box solution a 212 really stands out as being bigger and better. Just something great about 212’s. Have you pulled the trigger or still deliberating? I don’t think the few kG’s lighter would sway me to change but I’m sure they’re decent cabs. Probably a fuller sound in the non slim configuration but vim only basing that on my 212M compared to its 212S counterpart.

Sounds like we have a mutual love of 212s. What make / model are your 212 and 112?

Yeah, trigger has been well and truly pulled. Agent Moscow-Bass :ph34r: cannily spied that the used AT212 at BD had been sold and confronted me with the evidence...my cover was blown (albeit on a forum currently suffering server outage issues)! 

• Like 1

Yup big 212 fan - it’s the same cab I’ve been using these last 8yrs or so, so no changes since we last talked about our back line. The 112 doesn’t see too much action since quitting the country gig as it was handy for the smaller stages but I packed that gig in right before lockdown in a rare moment of foresight - I should really have been burnt as a witch!

10 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yup big 212 fan - it’s the same cab I’ve been using these last 8yrs or so, so no changes since we last talked about our back line. The 112 doesn’t see too much action since quitting the country gig as it was handy for the smaller stages but I packed that gig in right before lockdown in a rare moment of foresight - I should really have been burnt as a witch!

You'll need to remind me what the make / model of both your cabs are as it's probably been at least a couple of years since you told me and I'm afraid my memory isn't that good! 

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like we have a mutual love of 212s. What make / model are your 212 and 112?

Yeah, trigger has been well and truly pulled. Agent Moscow-Bass :ph34r: cannily spied that the used AT212 at BD had been sold and confronted me with the evidence...my cover was blown (albeit on a forum currently suffering server outage issues)! 

Was that from the planned Visit taking the BB2 as comparison or just buy and deliver 

The cab and my amps. I find that the cab works equally well with both heads. One has a tube preamp with vintage fender tone stack on one side with a second dedicated tube overdrive channel (with a blend between the two channels) on the other. It’s got some neat options - a semi para eq and room balance (tilt eq). Most of these features are switchable on/off from the amps footswitch.

The other head the top one has a very clean, quick pre with 3 band semi para eq. It's been likened to the Tunderfunk in terms of its overall voice/features so definitely a clean powerhouse! Both use the same power sections but one is lower output 600w and the other is full 1200w. From memory the cab is rated at 600w 4ohm.

F263EA43-AE17-424C-9647-38D0B186DF15.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, krispn said:

The cab and my amps. I find that the cab works equally well with both heads. One has a tube preamp with vintage fender tone stack on one side with a second dedicated tube overdrive channel (with a blend between the two channels) on the other. It’s got some neat options - a semi para eq and room balance (tilt eq). Most of these features are switchable on/off from the amps footswitch.

The other head the top one has a very clean, quick pre with 3 band semi para eq. It's been likened to the Tunderfunk in terms of its overall voice/features so definitely a clean powerhouse! Both use the same power sections but one is lower output 600w and the other is full 1200w. From memory the cab is rated at 600w 4ohm.

F263EA43-AE17-424C-9647-38D0B186DF15.jpeg

Proper sized amp on a cab that - Bravo

On 05/04/2021 at 16:57, MOSCOWBASS said:

My experience with BF big baby t and Big Baby 2 compared to my GR 210 and 112 is that the bottom end is bigger on the BF's. I don't have my BF's any more to do a side by side comparison, but I was always fighting a bit of boom with the BF's. That's why I bought a pair of BF one10s, and they were much better for me, although had to boost top a bit to compensate for lack of tweeters. At the end of the day I was left looking for more volume on occasions, I was pushing the one10s as far as I could without breakup. 

I bought the GR at210 to add to the BF one10s, but the GR 210 was much louder than the 2 one10s and didn't pair too well. So the one10s went and I got the GR at112h instead. I think the BB2 was more FRFR than the GR cabs....although I've still to gig the GRs, only played in the house so far. I like the tighter sound from the GRs. I would be interested to try the GR at110s that are now out....had they been out when I bought the at112, I may have gone for a pair of these instead, to go with the at210.

just out of interest, the BF 210 compared to the AT 210 which one was more transparent sounding would you say? 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes TecAmp - I've heard the 212 used before and they're great. Is your 112 also a TecAmp?

Its not a Tecamp but the important info is it’s over 15kg and doesn’t go low enough for a 5 string 😀

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Wouldn’t that be fairly obvious though considering the BF 10s are deliberately coloured 

Yes, retro 10's originally. I liked the one10s at medium volume, bright switch on my d800+ compensated for the lack of tweeter. Its was at high volumes the one10s started to break up before the AT210. The B string easily farted out on the one10s. I'm not bashing BF, I used them for 10 years, I just prefer the GR bass speakers just now.

Edited by MOSCOWBASS
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes TecAmp - I've heard the 212 used before and they're great. Is your 112 also a TecAmp?

Still my main cabs, 2 L212s .... never been able to find a substitute and they haven’t missed a beat in the many years I owned them.

12 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Still my main cabs, 2 L212s .... never been able to find a substitute and they haven’t missed a beat in the many years I owned them.

Out of interest you ever A/B'd with a Berg CN212?

2 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Never

Not sure it will necessarily change your mind about the TecAmp in terms of being sufficiently / any better, but the Berg CN really is an outstanding 212 and if you get a chance to give one a spin I would heartily recommend. 

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest you ever A/B'd with a Berg CN212?

As has been said often at the price points these go for it’d be replacing great cab for great cab. I’m not sure what the berg would offer over and above the tecamp. What was your take on the berg on a gig compared to the F112 or the BF?

If the 212 has been the sound your like haven’t you sold off about 4 of them to go for the lightest option? I think this was covered on another “what’s the best cab between X and Y” and the winner was cab Z simply because it was the lightest!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

On 04/04/2021 at 20:11, Wolverinebass said:

Do you want a lightweight bass cab? GR have made cabs out of the centre of a Cadbury's Crunchie. Simply take to a gig, add 3 pints of lukewarm water and see your volume demolish everything in it's path. Once the gig is completed, you fold down the hatch and drain it like a defective washing machine returning it to 14 micrograms nominal weight. Should the cab be damaged after load out, the side panels can provide sustenance for you and your bandmates should you get lost in the Yorkshire moors in a broken transit van.

Stick t'road nd beware t'moon.

• Like 1