Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

21 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

Relieved the Aerotec 2x10 sounds good in the living room test. Nice clear deep sound and it's so light. I've got the 4ohm version, so I can compare it with my 2xBF one10's, also 4ohms. Mesa d800 amp. The GR bass cab seems louder than the BF's with same amp settings. The GR is also brighter as you would expect, it has a tweeter. Turns out the tweeter control is 3 position switch, not a variavble L pad as per GR's advertising. Not a problem for me, positions are "off, bright and even brighter). The first "on" position sounds good at home, we'll see when and if gigging resumes. Build quality feels good, although I suspect the plastic corners might not stand up to abuse. Digging into low B string  sounds clean, theOne10 pair breaking up a bit before the GR 2x10. Overall pleased so far. Could be tempted to replace the BF's with a GR aerotec 1x12 at a later date😂

Brilliant to read this. I'm going to proceed with two AT CUBE 112 cabinets.

Where did you buy it from?

11 hours ago, machinehead said:

I don't think it makes any difference, front or rear port.  Unless I'm missing something with these particular cabs?

Frank.

Well I think it does, Had Markbass 4x10 with rear and front, the rear port was giving me kind of hard time, specially if you are in a small stage club. Always when I use rear port and I'm in the club, have to lower the lows on my amp, the boom starts to circle the stage, specially if it's hollow floor. But I feel that guys in GR know what they are doing, so would like to try one.

11 hours ago, machinehead said:

I don't think it makes any difference, front or rear port.  Unless I'm missing something with these particular cabs?

Frank.

It's a really interesting question. Calling @Bill Fitzmaurice or any of our other cab experts on what difference to the sound front or rear porting makes?

On paper the position of the port might make no difference, but in practice it can do.

I prefer front ported cabs because on small stages I might not have enough room behind the cab. Put a rear ported cab up on a pub bench seat and you get no sound out of the rear ports at all.

Also I've run into several drummers who don't like rear ports. Depending on the stage layout, they can get a lot of sound from the back and not so much from the front. So they are getting less full range and more "woolly" bass.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

On paper the position of the port might make no difference, but in practice it can do.

I prefer front ported cabs because on small stages I might not have enough room behind the cab. Put a rear ported cab up on a pub bench seat and you get no sound out of the rear ports at all.

Also I've run into several drummers who don't like rear ports. Depending on the stage layout, they can get a lot of sound from the back and not so much from the front. So they are getting less full range and more "woolly" bass.

All good points and I agree.  I've been in that situation where your rear port is blocked because of being too close to a wall or pub bench seat.  And... band members throwing their coats behind my rear ported cab.

Apart from those real-life situations, front or rear porting makes no difference, except when it does. :)

Frank.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Been looking at the specs.

The 2x12 would weigh less than my pair of BF One10. 

What do they sound like? Are they a bit vintage like the One10 or more modern?

ta

The 2x10 sounds more modern than 2 x one10s. Cleaner too. I'm going to add an Aerotec 112h to my 2x10

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

Not the cube, I want the 112 to sit under my 210, it is the correct size

AT112H-scaled.jpg

Very nice and makes complete sense yes. With everything considered, I think I’m going to go with the smaller footprint and slightly lighter weight of two CUBES.

Edited by thebassist
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2020 at 05:21, Al Krow said:

It's a really interesting question. Calling @Bill Fitzmaurice or any of our other cab experts on what difference to the sound front or rear porting makes?

None, provided the rear ports aren't blocked. However, the usual reason for rear porting is that the cab is too small to fit them on the front. The smaller the cab the more likely that it will boom in the upper bass and be shy in the lower bass, so for that reason rear ported cabs may sound different than front ported.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

With these cabs made from aluminium and carbon fibre, special attention has to be given to preventing resonance. The original carbon-fibre hi-fi speakers I remember had heavily damped and curved GF panels because of this.

1 hour ago, stevie said:

With these cabs made from aluminium and carbon fibre, special attention has to be given to preventing resonance. The original carbon-fibre hi-fi speakers I remember had heavily damped and curved GF panels because of this.

You are right...for me the worst is around 300 to 500hz, thats why sealing all joint, rigidity bracing and the correct cab volume so an efficient port design can be used. It took 5 designs & 3 builds to get this right.

Hi there @Bill Fitzmaurice - would you be kind enough to tell me which of these two options you would plump for if you had to choose between the two based purely on your knowledge and the information available here?

GRBass AT 112 H

• POWER 450W RMS (AES Standard)
  • DIMENSIONS 39 H, 51 W, 35 D cm
  • WEIGHT 8 Kg
  • COLOURS Carbon Fiber + Tolex black. Custom color on demand.
  • IMPEDANCE 8 or 4 ohm
  • BASS REFLEX on front
  • TWEETER 1” with Lpad regulator
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38Hz to 22 kHz
  • SENSITIVITY 99 dB SPL

GRBass AT CUBE 112

• DIMENSIONS 43 H, 40 W, 35 D cm
  • WEIGHT 7,5 Kg
  • IMPEDANCE 8 or 4 ohm
  • BASS REFLEX on rear
  • TWEETER regulation 3 position switch
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE 40Hz to 18 kHz
  • SENSITIVITY 99 dB SPL

15 hours ago, thebassist said:

Hi there @Bill Fitzmaurice - would you be kind enough to tell me which of these two options you would plump for if you had to choose between the two based purely on your knowledge and the information available here?

GRBass AT 112 H

• DIMENSIONS 39 H, 51 W, 35 D cm
  • WEIGHT 8 Kg
  • IMPEDANCE 8 or 4 ohm
  • BASS REFLEX on front
  • TWEETER 1” with Lpad regulator
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38Hz to 22 kHz
  • SENSITIVITY 99 dB SPL

GRBass AT CUBE 112

• DIMENSIONS 43 H, 40 W, 35 D cm
  • WEIGHT 7,5 Kg
  • IMPEDANCE 8 or 4 ohm
  • BASS REFLEX on rear
  • TWEETER regulation 3 position switch
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE 40Hz to 18 kHz
  • SENSITIVITY 99 dB SPL

The AT 112 H would be my choice as it has front port. I have never liked rear ports because they are very position/venue sensitive imo...if you go ahead let us know where you purchased & your opinion

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCH said:

The AT 112 H would be my choice as it has front port. I have never liked rear ports because they are very position/venue sensitive imo...if you go ahead let us know where you purchased & your opinion

I think someone was asking what speakers are used?...Jenson

50 minutes ago, BCH said:

Yes, I think I'm going to go front ported now after a few conversations.

I use a lot of delay/reverb/overdrive/looping pedals live so the ever so slightly larger footprint and .5kg weight increase are not significant enough to warrant the potential problems that can crop up with rear porting.