Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

Patented carbon wafers? Blimey. Anyone seen any UK prices? I can't find anything... it says they start at $969, but as they're not US products, you'd hope here in the UK we'd get better than the £=$ thing...because £969 for a 112 is a right old stinger...

WOW!! Just seen the specs on the 212. If the sound quality is on a par with the price, a 4ohm version of this would just be amazing at that weight. Colour me very interested!!

GR Bass AeroTech Carbon Featherweight AT212Slim Bass Cabinet Specs:

Power: 900 Watts RMS
Impedance: 4 or 8 ohm
Bass Reflex: On Rear
Tweeter: 1″ with Lpad Regulator
Frequency Response: 35Hz to 22kHz
Sensitivity: 102 dB SPL
Weight: 28.5 lbs

GR have a decent reputation in the Italian market - I spoke to an Italian pro bassist after his band's set a while back at Boisdale in Canary Wharf, and he was raving about GR as being comparable / better than the Markbass amps (although tbf MB have revamped their amp line up and some of the current offerings look excellent / have dealt with the less than ideal EQ centre points / gaps on the older LM3 models).

22 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Patented carbon wafers? Blimey. Anyone seen any UK prices? I can't find anything... it says they start at $969, but as they're not US products, you'd hope here in the UK we'd get better than the £=$ thing...because £969 for a 112 is a right old stinger...

Soz Muzz - I suspect it won't be great news on the price front. Exports to the US from any EU member state are not subject to VAT, whereas sales in the EU are going to be subject to VAT so we will need to add that on to the quoted $ prices. Ok should be a bit of saving on transport costs, but I'd still be expecting these in the £950+ zone... but given that a Barefaced BB2 is just a shade lighter as a 112, and with silver grille + cover is £895 AND is only available in 8 ohm, that maybe puts it in context. 

Edited by Al Krow

26 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Id love the 112 but not at a more than BF SC price.

And you'll readily be able to pick up a BF SC used, whereas there won't be many of these coming up used for quite a while I suspect.

Edited by Al Krow

31 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

...with just two fingers 🙂

Haha indeed - still blows away my band-mates when then lift mine!

But a 212 4ohm cab capable of handling 900W should on paper easily trump a 112 8ohm cab capable of handling 600W (i.e. the BF SC) in terms of onstage and audience presence.

And if the 212 is < 29lbs then that's a game changer. I'm now already not thinking of replacing my BF SC with a BB2.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Haha indeed - still blows away my band-mates when then lift mine!

But a 212 4ohm cab capable of handling 900W should on paper easily trump a 112 8ohm cab capable of handling 600W (i.e. the BF SC) in terms of onstage and audience presence.

And if the 212 is < 29lbs then that's a game changer. I'm now already not thinking of replacing my BF SC with a BB2.

I would be worried about the 212 running at quite high volume moving across the stage.

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I was thinking that as well, but after buying the cab id only have £100 left. Is that enough? 🙂

Depends who you're buying it off and whether you're throwing a Yammy BB P34 in with your £100 or not 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

WOW!! Just seen the specs on the 212. If the sound quality is on a par with the price, a 4ohm version of this would just be amazing at that weight. Colour me very interested!!

GR Bass AeroTech Carbon Featherweight AT212Slim Bass Cabinet Specs:

Power: 900 Watts RMS
Impedance: 4 or 8 ohm
Bass Reflex: On Rear
Tweeter: 1″ with Lpad Regulator
Frequency Response: 35Hz to 22kHz
Sensitivity: 102 dB SPL
Weight: 28.5 lbs

GR have a decent reputation in the Italian market - I spoke to an Italian pro bassist after his band's set a while back at Boisdale in Canary Wharf, and he was raving about GR as being comparable / better than the Markbass amps (although tbf MB have revamped their amp line up and some of the current offerings look excellent / have dealt with the less than ideal EQ centre points / gaps on the older LM3 models).

Soz Muzz - I suspect it won't be great news on the price front. Exports to the US from any EU member state are not subject to VAT, whereas sales in the EU are going to be subject to VAT so we will need to add that on to the quoted $ prices. Ok should be a bit of saving on transport costs, but I'd still be expecting these in the £950+ zone... but given that a Barefaced BB2 is just a shade lighter as a 112, and with silver grille + cover is £895 AND is only available in 8 ohm, that maybe puts it in context. 

Ouch. I think I'll wait for the wave of Early Adopters to try them first, then. That 212 will be much nearer to higher end of the price range, too - probably much nearer £1300, if your calculations are correct. I'm as keen as the next old physical wreck on a light cab, but pushing £400 for 10lbs less in weight (and the ST has wheels, too)? Hmmmm...

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Don't worry, I'll quickly spot that I suspect and it wouldn't be hanging about too long...

Im sure you will 🙂

1 hour ago, Woodwind said:

Really like the look of their amps as well.

Other than the tiniest one they have 9v out to power effects!

Yeah, i like that idea very much. The 800watt head has my attention. it reminds me of a GK in some way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Oh I dunno, I could name a few high end Italian cars that would leave just about every British made car in the shade for performance and style 😁

Agreed, but those high end exotics don't tend to keep up the style and performance for long before bits start dropping off unless you baby them and keep them indoors when it's raining. Given that there are few, if any British cars these days, that may not be a comparison one can even make. Compare Italian to Japanese, German or Scandinavian, however and it's a different story 😊

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Tried one. Sorry not to be more enthusiastic...

That's cool, we all like different things. Ive read through the TB thread where the designer has loads of posts. It does seem like its not quite coloured enough for me. After the Quilter 'incident' I think I want something less neutral and flat