Why become a member? ×

Overdrive Recomendations? <Solution Found>

Stub Mandrel

On 27/01/2020 at 23:06, dannybuoy said:

VT Bass or VTDI gets my vote. After over a decade of buying and flipping bass overdrives, if I had to keep only one it'd be the VTDI.

I was playing with mine yesterday and it does make a great sound (or should I say, great sounds), but I was thinking that maybe I should try something else, especially as I don’t have a lot of experience with dirt boxes for bass (my only other one being an MXR M80). However, reading the above makes me think I’m probably set. GAS averted (for these at least), well certainly for the time being ;) .

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I dont think i ever used my VTDI as a OD as such, it was more an amp sim with dirt. Never used it as on or off, just on all the time. 

I tend to have mine on most of the time too (mild drive/growl) but I do switch it off for some songs, particularly when using fretless.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I tend to have mine on most of the time too (mild drive/growl) but I do switch it off for some songs, particularly when using fretless.

Wha? Fretless with a touch of o/d is the BALLS!!*

*ymmv

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Wha? Fretless with a touch of o/d is the BALLS!!*

*ymmv

You are not wrong and I do combine the two, Owner Of A Lonely Heart immediately springs to mind. However, for some songs, especially if I'm using another effect (chorus or octave) I find it better without the OD.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Bad company 🙂

So many folk forget, or don't even realise, that Boz played fretless. What a guy.

• 2 months later...

Well folks, I was generously offered the loan of a Dr. J Sparrow. It's great as an amp simulator, and I found it's influence on the sound of the bass was profound, actually 'overruling' pickup selections so it became the main determinator of the sound I was getting, but the overdrive just wasn't gritty enough.

So I eventually ordered a MojoMojo which cam this morning. I set everything at 12 o'clock and BANG! There's the sound I've been chasing. All three of the things I want but perhaps haven't been able to express at the start of this search:

(1) A distorted sound that 'growls' rather than 'fizzes' - not too bright and preserving the underlying tone rather than imposing all its won character.

(2) It gives a compressed sound dynamic but with changing tone, so the distorted sound gradually smooths to a clearer one (just like a good valve sound).

(3) It works well up the neck.

So I'm happy!

• Like 3

On 27/01/2020 at 23:06, dannybuoy said:

VT Bass or VTDI gets my vote. After over a decade of buying and flipping bass overdrives, if I had to keep only one it'd be the VTDI.

Another convert here to the school of VTDI.

But I understand dB you may be about to switch allegiance after a decade to the Leeds!

@Stub Mandrel enjoy the Mojomojo. I thought it did a very decent job, particularly in preserving low end. 

Try pushing the treble control on the Mojo Mojo up to 3 o'clock, it's still not bright by any measure, but it does add some missing clarity back!

Re the Tech21 pedals Al, DP3X still sounds king when played in a mix with my band's old albums. Played solo though I do enjoy the VTDI more. The Leeds is very similar but less farty and more throaty when pushing the gain! I'd need to play them against each other at high volume in a band setting to see how they fare in real life, but I can't see that happening for the foreseeable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Try pushing the treble control on the Mojo Mojo up to 3 o'clock, it's still not bright by any measure, but it does add some missing clarity back!

Had a go, not sure it's essential when using my favourite setting (tone up, bridge PUP max and a touch of neck pickup) but does help when on neck pup alone.

6 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Re the Tech21 pedals Al, DP3X still sounds king when played in a mix with my band's old albums. Played solo though I do enjoy the VTDI more. The Leeds is very similar but less farty and more throaty when pushing the gain! I'd need to play them against each other at high volume in a band setting to see how they fare in real life, but I can't see that happening for the foreseeable!

Cheers dB. Well I'm starting to get the hang of the VTDI and have found a couple of excellent clean settings which are likely to feature as an 'always on'. Not found my drive tone on this just yet, but still early days, although one of the sample drive settings is not too shabby at all. I think it's going to render my SA Aftershock obsolete, although that will probably be worth keeping as a drive multi-fx jack-of-all-dirt but master of none, but the jury's out on whether it's going to trump the Grizzly Bass (although I know you never liked that one!) as a drive pedal.

Interestingly the VTDI has a similar couple of interacting dials similar to the Grizzly: the Character & Drive on the VTDI and Overdrive & Distortion on the Grizzly, and the 'magic' on both pedals is tied up with how these two play off each other.

As a clean pre-amp I think the VTDI wins fairly easily for me with its 3 band vs 2 band EQ on the Grizzly, plus its 'bite' button which adds 'presence' via a upper mids and treble boost plus an HPF to tighten up the sound.

If you've got a custom setting for your VTDI for your drive that you feel nails it for you, please feel free to share! 

Apologies to the OP for the slight thread diversion (but at least it's in keeping with the thread title 😁)

Edited by Al Krow

• 3 weeks later...