Why become a member? ×

Overdrive Recomendations? <Solution Found>

Stub Mandrel

I'm looking for suggestions for an overdrive that isn't 'fizzy' like the OD channel on many amps.

For adding a bit of grit when playing heavier numbers, but not as in your face as fuzz/distortion pedals - classic subtle overdrive sound really.

Ideally one that works well without having to overdrive the amp input.

The Boss ODB3 bass ooverdrive appears a poor choice by the vast number that have been sold on here!

Must be a stand alone pedal, does not need to provide more severe effects as I've got those.

Ideally modest cost.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

The TC Electronic Mojo Mojo is a great little drive pedal that doesn't cost a fortune, I found it great for a mild drive sound at lower gain settings. It's got bass and treble controls to help fine tune the tone although I found the pedal generally a little dark sounding but in a good way. 

As for the Boss ODB-3, I found it fizzy and nasty! 

• Like 2

The Mojomojo may be dark, but you can crank the treble control pretty far to bring back some clarity without it sounding harsh.

If you want top end clarity it's not for you, but if you're a fan of older classic rock or Motown tones, it delivers in spades. 

• Like 3

One Control HGBM worth checking out, too. Grit + high end clarity. 

Adjustable trim pot on the side to enable meaty low end for bassists (sometimes overlooked!), which may not be needed by guitarists. 

Higher price bracket than the Caline or Mojomojo, but arguably well worth it. 

• Like 1

Tech21 DP3X if you dial it right and use your tone knob on your bass

Lehle Sonic Spark

Tech21 VT Bass

Hartke VXL bass attack (first Gen)

Two Notes LeBass - again you have to dial it right, lots of extreme examples out there but it does subtle.

Demon pedals The Parvati

• Like 1

TC Electronics Spark booster gets my vote. Its like the Mojomojo with the blanket removed. Very natural open drive, runs off battery and doesn't change the tone too much.

Waaaaay cheaper than the usual boutique pedals mentioned.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 4

Ibanez make a bass version of their famous Tube Screamer. Personally, I find that the TS-9B was exactly what I wanted from a bass overdrive. Most of the other ones I tried seemed to gobble up my low mids; if anything, this one gives them a bit of a boost!

Probably worth adding the caveat that I use mine as a boost for soloing, but I think it's versatile enough that you could experiment with it for more workaday purposes.

• Like 1

Versatile but more pricey:

SA Aftershock - pretty much a digital drive multifx

Grizzly Bass - Ed Friedland is a massive fan. Zero loss of low end on this analogue pedal which has  additional EQ options that allow you to range from clean Motown to full on dirt. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

A previous discussion

I went for Adventure audio glacial zenith mk I version. The mkII has even more control and both have a boost switch which can be used pre or post gain. 

I found one for £80 and does light break up to full drive. Love playing hives and qotsa bass lines with it

• Like 1

There are so many good drive pedals around, that it really depends on what style you like.  I like the Ashdown NM2 because you can use the channel 1 as a relatively mild overdrive, channel 2 for more distortion, or both for a full on sound. You can pick them up at a good price. I also like using an OCD style overdrive. My favourite is the Fuzzrocious Oh See Demon (now just named Demon), but you could get a similar sound out of most of the OCD style pedals.  I know you said no multi effects but the overdrive on the Fender Downtown Express is pretty good too.

I have a sort of sound in my head.

It's a bit like Boz Burrell on 'Can't Get Enough' (fretless P), Paul Simonon on London Calling (P) and Ronnie Lane on Stay with Me (?) so it's not very bass specific, and I assume it's  a classic softly overloaded valve amp sound.

It's pretty much for those songs and songs in that vein...

Of course I'm a J-bass fan....

Does that help?

Edit actually I have no idea what this is...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I have a sort of sound in my head.

It's a bit like Boz Burrell on 'Can't Get Enough' (fretless P), Paul Simonon on London Calling (P) and Ronnie Wood on Stay with Me (EB0) so it's not very bass specific, and I assume it's  a classic softly overloaded valve amp sound.

It's pretty much for those songs and songs in that vein...

Of course I'm a J-bass fan....

Does that help?

It doesn't matter what you say, you will be getting at least one drive pedal.

You can say you were pressured into it if you like.

Like having your ear pierced.

• Haha 1

Bass Soul Food might give you what you’re after. There’s varying opinion with them but you can nab one used pretty cheap and it does really need to be heard in a band mix as it could sound a bit middy and ugly on its own. 
That’s a fair point if I say so myself make sure and demo the pedal with your band. All too often folk on forums especially the TB crowd are buying and flipping gear within days having not tried them in context with their bands. Very important and not to be overlooked! 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, krispn said:

That’s a fair point if I say so myself make sure and demo the pedal with your band. All too often folk on forums especially the TB crowd are buying and flipping gear within days having not tried them in context with their bands. Very important and not to be overlooked! 

Always a good idea. One reason i tend to buy on line a lot of the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I bought one of these on here and it does this very thing nicely.  Seems very 'organic' and responsive to how much attack you play with.

image.png.7c39bbc756546aec3fe93428dfaf7b46.png

Not come across these before - if it does what is sets out to in terms of "captures all the sound of a mic 'd classic tube bass amp" then that's going to scratch a lot of itches!

Quick listen on YouTube and seems to have plenty of low end with the ability to include / exclude top end crunch via the harmonics - and mean that it shouldn't get lost in the mix. DI out included and all for £65 new.

Looks really good, Paul! How do my observations from a YouTube clip stack up with what you're hearing in "real life" and with your band?

Sounds about right Baz.  I have to dial off the lows a bit through my BF Two10 so, yes, plenty of bottom :) I make sure I have my compressor turned off as it adds too much fatnesss with both but otherwise it sits my needs nicely.  I was using a Behringer BDI and this is a couple of steps up from that.  I read someone this is a knockoff Sansamp?

• Thanks 1