Why become a member? ×

'Gravity' Microphone stands any opinions?

Count Bassy

Generally well made, good materials and sturdy, but... Let down by a couple of major flaws on the ones I have. The boom lock doesn’t hold firmly enough and can slip. And some joints held together by tension can easily be pulled apart. Sometimes the simpler stands are the best! 

1 hour ago, moonbass said:

Generally well made, good materials and sturdy, but... Let down by a couple of major flaws on the ones I have. The boom lock doesn’t hold firmly enough and can slip. And some joints held together by tension can easily be pulled apart. Sometimes the simpler stands are the best! 

Brilliant, just the sort of thing I needed to know. Looks like a K&M one again then!

I have two and love them. Technically I have one and my wife has one but I am the one that carries it around. Mine is a boom mic one, and hers is a standy up singer one with a clutch control handgrip thing. Haven't had any trouble with them.

My last one (a cheap one I got from PMT) slipped on the boom, and the bottom nut the plastic came off the nut. This one is much better, which is nice. I also got a white one as I wanted to be able to find it in the black poles.

If I was to get another microphone stand, it would be another gravity.

3 hours ago, moonbass said:

This. I have several, and at first was impressed, but they are a. Not taking busy gigging at all well, and b. Those bloody green bands are utterly pointless. They keep coming off and getting lost... 

18 minutes ago, DanOwens said:

I've found Hercules customer service to be excellent too when it comes to finding spare parts.

I bought a Hercules boom stand a while back.  It doesn't get used now except in my rehearsal room.  The boom section has a friction fixing which is supposed to clamp onto a spigot on the top of the main stand.  however a. the friction fixing does not actually clamp tight enough to hold it (I had to wedge a bit of cardboard in to make it tight enough...  very "pro".... NOT), and b. the spigot is supposed to be a rigid part of the main stand, but the weld is poor and it wobbles, so the whole boom arrangement is wobbly/sloppy...  disappointing....

1 minute ago, MoJoKe said:

... so the whole boom arrangement is wobbly/sloppy...  disappointing....

thankfully this hasn't been my experience of the Herc stands we use in the band, but I would also say that we also use a lot of K&M stuff and we also don't have problems with these.

23 minutes ago, DanOwens said:

thankfully this hasn't been my experience of the Herc stands we use in the band, but I would also say that we also use a lot of K&M stuff and we also don't have problems with these.

Yup, its going to be K&M all the way for me from now onwards!

I wouldn't touch a hercules mic stand if it was given away free, my last one was that, you couldn't do the boom up hard enough for it to not fall down and smash the iPad, the bottom bit worked loose, and in the end when I accidental left it in a pub, I couldn't be bothered to go back for it.

• Haha 2