Why become a member? ×

Norfolk Music scene. What's it like

police squad

A beautiful area for sure. I used to go there for work and the lazy stereotype of 'flat East Anglia' is way off the mark. 

There are a few local members who'll be along soon. My gut-feeling is that regarding the music scene apart from the bigger towns and Norwich the critical mass of population may not be big enough for vibrancy. Might be wrong though.

Not a local myself, but I did head down to Dereham for three consecutive summers, when Cherry White played their local blues festival. That was always well attended (obviously one has to enjoy blues or blues-oriented music), but I got the impression Dereham was quite lively as far as music was concerned. The Cherry Tree seemed to have a pretty busy programme of live music throughout the year.

2 hours ago, pete.young said:

Plenty of good reasons to move to Suffolk, but the music scene in Ipswich is not one of them. It's dying on it's ringpiece.

Ipswich has quite a few good music pubs .

The Black Horse is a regular for us , but it has been slightly quieter this last 6 months - Landlady said it has been across the board .

Might be a blip Pete - who knows

18 hours ago, E sharp said:

Ipswich has quite a few good music pubs .

The Black Horse is a regular for us , but it has been slightly quieter this last 6 months - Landlady said it has been across the board .

Might be a blip Pete - who knows

Hope so. I think there's been a slight but steady decline over the last 10 years, important venues like the Mulberry Tree and Spread Eagle have gone, the Steam Boat Tavern isn't putting on nearly as many events as it used to, pubs in the surrounding countryside are closing or going gastropub. The Smoke House has been a great success, but is limited to 80 and selling out most gigs and there's a dearth of bigger options between that and the Regent. There's no sign of a venue like the Apex in Bury St Edmunds, and many of the smaller acts that can't fill the regent pass us by.

Bilbo is fighting valiantly to make some quality jazz happen in Felixstowe, fair play to him!

3 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

My singer is from Norfolk (we're UK wide) and he's always late to everything. The standard joke is he's stuck behind a tractor!

That's not a joke - that seems to be the reality (tractor or caravan!)

:)

• Haha 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:14, Teebs said:

That's not a joke - that seems to be the reality (tractor or caravan!)

:)

Or just Norfolk drivers in general to be honest. Spend quite a bit of time up there, my wife's 'Aunt' lives near Fakenham. I saw Phil Campbell in Norwich at Epic Studios before Xmas. Nice little-ish venue.

On 26/01/2020 at 16:49, Bassfinger said:

It's pretty good.  Here's a Norwich based Adam and the Ants tribute act.

A friend is in the Abingdon Morris Men side. I can't see him in this dance, but he's in recent facebook pics and more memorably in this pastoral slice of joy, clearly a major influence on Sam Mendes, Alfonson Cuaron and Alejandro Inarritu and that lot. (my friend is behind and to the left of the singer when she first becomes obvious)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toneknob said:

A friend is in the Abingdon Morris Men side. I can't see him in this dance, but he's in recent facebook pics and more memorably in this pastoral slice of joy, clearly a major influence on Sam Mendes, Alfonson Cuaron and Alejandro Inarritu and that lot. (my friend is behind and to the left of the singer when she first becomes obvious)

Not sure why I clicked on that, but I'm glad I did!

• Like 1