Why become a member? ×

NOBD & NOBD II: The Grapes of Khan

Doctor J

A couple of ebay finds arrived recently. I bought the Aria before xmas but it took a while to get here from Japan. I thought it was an IGB-600 but it turns out to be an IGB-CST with a carved sen body. I can now understand where Billy Gould got that tone from, the output is outrageously high and it’s really easy to overdrive the amp. The EQ is very usable, particularly the low end. It might be the most musical low frequency control I have ever played.

While waiting for the Aria to arrive and checking the tracking I saw the ESP. It desperately needs some love, particularly the frets, and it’s the only bass I’ve ever had which arrived with the truss rod completely loose. The truss rod nut doesn’t look like it has ever been touched. I’ve already stripped it, cleaned it (very badly needed), shielded it, replaced the bridge, shimmed the neck and set it up properly. I think this one has been around the block a few times and now I know why. Even with plenty of work left to do, though, it farts like an olde-time P should and I’m going to make it real nice, real nice.

E06BA79B-1CE9-4D14-A145-949971552581.jpeg

• Like 5

I got the bass for peanuts so I could handle the shipping. The actual cost on the shipping label was about €90 but, of course, the seller charged a bit more. Going on ebay postage rates I have seen, the most is about €160 but it varies per seller. There is import duty payable, which works out at about 25% all in. Again, this was factored into what I was prepared to bid for the bass in the first place.