Why become a member? ×

Wal lined fretless work

Zengineer

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I’ve been a sound engineer most of my life and have played bass on & off since I was 15 - when I’ve had the time. I bought a 1984 Wal Mk1 lined fretless in the early 90’s (when they were cheap and out of fashion) which I still own. As much as I loved the Mick Karn sound in the 80s, I haven’t used the bass very much - I’m not really a fretless player tbh.

I’ve booked the bass in at the Bass Gallery to have a couple of jobs done with a view to selling it. While I was there, they mentioned that it would be an easy job to put frets on if I wanted to. I would LOVE to have frets on this bass - with them it would be a keeper for me, no doubt!

I gave them go-ahead, but now I’m wobbling. Bottom line is I don’t really want to sell the bass. I would really love to own a fretted Wal, but I’m a bit worried about making such a fundamental change to it.

What do you guys think? Do I sell or modify? 

Edited by Zengineer
  • Like 1

Modify, absolutely. Some people might talk about resale value etc etc but at the en dog the day it could make it the ultimate bass for you, so what do you care! Especially as there's been some work on it already so it's not 100% original, which for some is a key sticking point.

• Like 2

Have it fretted for sure. I’m a predominately fretless player, but if having frets fitted will make you play it more and, more importantly, keep it - do it. You’ll own a truly magnificent bass, that you like and if you do come to sell it, don’t worry, you won’t have wrecked the resale IMO. Buying instruments for their potential resale, whilst being a potential pension investment, etc, isn’t their raison d’être, they’re musical instruments and should be played. To have a Wal is a lovely thing and it deserves to serve you in the way you want.

Ooh, I almost forgot :crigon_04:

Edited by ezbass

Thanks for the re-assurance guys, I think I'll go ahead and get it done 🙂 I got the bass relatively cheaply when they were out of fashion, plus it needed work. Bought it cos I was a Mick Karn fan. It was all about the sound - the future value had nothing to do with it!

• Like 2

Fretted Wals cost more than fretless ones.  More demand ... and currently that "Tool have an album out" factor. 

I think it would be a shame, especially if it has an ebony board ( love my fretless Wal even more than the fretted one) but if it gets you playing it ..go for it.

Play some fretted basses first - try out as many as you can.
Are there any kindly BC members out there, who are willing to let you try out their fretted Wals?

I've found out the hard way, that if you really really like a bass, and feel that you "bond" with it - then you should probably keep it
Can you justify owning two basses (I certainly find a way of justifying owning rather more than that! lol)

Though it's an expensive way of doing things, in this case I'd be tempted to get the Wal fretted.
I'm just thinking that if you sell, and then get sellers regret.... you may not be able to find another bass you like as much as this one.

I've got other basses - an American Standard Jazz, a Stingray and a Yamaha BB 5 string. Can't really justify having all of them, but when did that ever stop any of us buying nice instruments :-)

The Wal is the only one I don't play much, which is ridiculous given it's current value. Pretty sure I would if it was fretted though.

Hi @Zengineer, you say you're a newbie. Maybe, before you rush into getting frets put on the bass, you should keep it a while longer. Play another, fretted bass, for some months or years and then re-visit the Wal.

Commercially you won't regret having it fretted, but will it be right for you?

Incidentally, if you're having it fretted, I'd be inclined to ask The Gallery, if they can fret it without the frets going through the sides of the neck - as the fretting is done on Warwick basses. If any one can, I guess the Gallery can do this. Good luck on your Bass journey.

1 hour ago, Zengineer said:

Frets on and I flippin love it! 🙂  Thank you very much Bass Gallery Martin!

Apparently it was fretted to start with anyway.

Nice one. However, we have a rule here on BC: photos or it didn’t happen 😉.

7 minutes ago, philparker said:

I'm mostly a fretless player and a Wal fretless owner, but I think it was the right thing to do for the owner!

Likewise (except for the Wal owning part :() and I agree, it was the right thing to do and what a result. The chaps at The Gallery are really good at what they do.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Not sure that I would have been bold enough to have the work done - expect repercussions from all the fretless players...

Mick, it was originally fretted as Martin at the Bass Gallery said, so no harm done on the contrary as it's really back to its original condition.

I was also a bit sceptical about the walnut fingerboard for a Wal fretless. Did Martin confirm this wood type ? 

Well done  @Zengineer, says another fretless player and a huge Mick Karn fan, who bought the same fretless Wal MkI three times...

• Like 1