Why become a member? ×

Sax player writing my basslines for me...

TheGreek

Started a new originals project with a sax/keys/vocals (1 person), drummer, another keys player and a trumpet player. We're looking at a funky feel - none of them listen to or have played in a band which plays this genre.

Annoyingly, the sax/keys/vocalist keeps telling what to play - not just "can you double that note.." the whole riff - and they have been CRAP!!

We're practising later today - he sent me a bassline to play earlier - not unlike what I played last week when we jammed it out but in no way improved on.

I can feel that he's a bit of a control freak - I'm getting negative vibes already. 

What do I do???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm a sax player... I started playing bass 20 years ago because it was easier to get a local gig (and I also think bass is seriously cool).

When I started learning bass, despite being a semi-pro sax player for years, I had zero appreciation of what a bass does and how a bassline works. Sax is a melodic instrument... bass links rhythm and harmonic structure... and possibly melody too.

My first instinct would be to tell him to eff off. Otherwise... unless you can come to an understanding with him, unhappiness will result.

Ironically, when I was a sax player I once had a bass player trying to tell me what to play.

Each to their own.

Point of information: in 20+ years of gigging with a sax, I only played one song in Bb. I just played whatever key the singer wanted.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Started a new originals project with a sax/keys/vocals (1 person), drummer, another keys player and a trumpet player. We're looking at a funky feel - none of them listen to or have played in a band which plays this genre.

Annoyingly, the sax/keys/vocalist keeps telling what to play - not just "can you double that note.." the whole riff - and they have been CRAP!!

We're practising later today - he sent me a bassline to play earlier - not unlike what I played last week when we jammed it out but in no way improved on.

I can feel that he's a bit of a control freak - I'm getting negative vibes already. 

What do I do???

Take an older bass, hand him the bass, can he play it? If he's making an absolute tit of himself but thinks he's the second coming of Jack Bruce start blowing his sax. Make sure you've had about four or five chewing gums first, not to freshen your breath but to be extra salivary so you can slobber all over and inside the damn thing. Blow as hard as you can so the Reed breaks too. 

In all seriousness he sounds like a control freak. If you're not being paid to be in HIS band playing HIS music then I'd walk. Otherwise what's the point? He could just go out as a solo act playing along to his home recorded backing tracks. 

A swift "f off and play Baker Street will you" would be my parting shot.

• Like 1

On a more serious not to my last response, I guess it just depends on the dynamic of the band. In my current band the writing process is collaborative, we will all push each other in different directions to see what serves the song best, but the player of that instrument usually has the final say unless the whole band disagree.

You should a chat with the guy about this and see if you can resolve it, but if you're not happy with the situation then something obviously has to change.

If you get on with the drummer, trumpet and other keys player personally & creatively, then consider dropping the sax/keys/vocals guy and either find a replacement or just carry on without him.

If he's doing sax / vox / keys then maybe he sees himself as the songwriter and Band Leader. If its his song or idea he'll have something in his head for the bass line and that's where he's coming from ........maybe

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

If he's doing sax / vox / keys then maybe he sees himself as the songwriter and Band Leader. If its his song or idea he'll have something in his head for the bass line and that's where he's coming from ........maybe

This is essentially it...his songs played by the band.

I've always felt that everybody has a contribution to make so let them make it. They know their instrument and how it fits the bigger picture. I don't tell the others how/what to play so let me find what I think works.

• Like 2

Yep unless he's written a full tune with the bassline i wouldnt have any of it ,and even if he has then as an unpaid session musician i wouldnt be that keen unless he reciprocates the gesture and is willing to play your ideas..

i've played with some top drawer sax players ,and never been told what to play except maybe an idea to go with a chord chart..

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've always felt that everybody has a contribution to make so let them make it. They know their instrument and how it fits the bigger picture. I don't tell the others how/what to play so let me find what I think works.

Can you take his bass lines and modify them to something that you like with your take on it but still retaining some of his basic idea.

I get the feeling its not intentional on his part and he probably hasn't given it much thought. He's been focused on how the song sounds in his head.

Worth talking to him see what he thinks. He might value your input and help in improving the songs.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

So you’re his backing band essentially? Bit like a pit band, you turn up and play whatever is presented to you. 
Now that’s fine, if that’s everyone’s expectation.

I play in a band that is led by an amazing bass player who has gigged and recorded with high profile artists. However, he chooses to let me create my own parts, but occasionally gives direction, particularly in the studio. But that’s our expectation.

So, essentially, laying out expectations from the start makes for clarity and helps minimise disappointment and resentment.

I’d have a chat with him Mick, sooner rather than later, or walk. 

• Like 2