Why become a member? ×

Drummers and Keys players

bridge

Im sure this has been discussed before, however....... After being 'off the circuit' for some months following me having major surgery, my band started rehearsing again last  week,. However, our drummer is now unavailable, due to work commitments. So, I looked at ads on JMB. This one caught my eye.  '' I’ve been drumming for 18years, would love to get back to gigging after taking a break for family. I have an eclectic taste in music and am happy to play anything from metal to country to pop to punk to jazz and anything in between. 
Please hit me up if you’re in need of a drummer who is versatile and picks things up quicklyHes local, and appears open to various genres, so I sent a simple message, just asking if he is still available. This was the reply.  Yes mate, still available. What’s it in regards to?  Resisting replying it was in regards to flashing in the local park, ( the heading on the message said ref drummer available) )I replied it was in response to his ad as an available drummer, as my band is looking for one, Never heard another word from him, not even a f'@@k off! Asking around various band members I know, this appears to be quite normal  on JMB! on the subject of drummers, how would you respond  to this ad, also on JMB

hi the names ####### im all the rage and i love to rage. especially on young children and drums, call me on ############  Name and number blanked to protect the lunacy!

As for keys players, ( yes we have one, and hes very good), does anyone else find that the majority seem very 'flaky'?

Edited by bridge

You were lucky to get a reply at all!  Maybe arrange a meet up and 'hit him', after all he did ask for it....

This guy advertises on all the time Somerset JMB and keeps me amused:

Just got my new Bon Jovi satnav, apparently I’m halfway there. I’ve been playing in a band called Duvet, we were a covers band then I joined 999Megabytes, we didn’t get a gig. So I’m back. Bass guitarist with plenty of experience and open to suggestions that are physically possible. So old I can provide bv’s in Latin. Inventive confident player with good gear and transport, obviously. Ex pro wanting to gig some more.

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3

JMB is known for that. It seems to be either 16 year olds convinced that they’re the next huge thing, or middle-aged drummers who played the big bass drum in the boys brigade 40 years ago. In the case of the drummers the closest they’ve ever got to being in a band, is asking the one in the local for a request.

I think Facebook is pretty good for finding musicians. You’ll generally find pretty good musicians wanted and available groups on there. The time wasters usually get weeded out pretty quickly.

Hm.

Why did you just ask him whether he was still available? Why not give him some info about what your band is about? The ad was still on, so the assumption is that he's available (yes, that assumption is often wrong, but still).

He answered your question. When he asked the very reasonable question "What's it in regards to?", he most probably did NOT ask you what it was "in response" to.
To my mind, he was obviously asking for more information regarding your project - info you could have given him right away. You seem to even recognise this very concept in your own example: "in regards to flashing in the park".
Then, you still did not give him info about your band and project....

I'm sure he's on drumchat.co.uk right now, shaking his head in disbelief.
Me, I'm on BC right now, shaking my head in disbelief. I think he may just have dodged a bullet here.

Edited by BassTractor

i DID give him band info, and as I said, I  headed my message ref Drummer availability. It is courteous to ask if he is still available, as he may have had lots of responses,  with long drawn out messages , and JMB is notorious for out of date ads, Im glad you like to assume what you  believe to be facts, My gripe is with the lack of repose, positive or otherwise, but I guess by the tone of your post, you are probably of the same ilk.  (there I go, assuming things about you) Keep on shaking you head Dude.

Edited by bridge

4 hours ago, bridge said:

i DID give him band info, and as I said, I  headed my message ref Drummer availability. It is courteous to ask if he is still available, as he may have had lots of responses,  with long drawn out messages , and JMB is notorious for out of date ads, Im glad you like to assume what you  believe to be facts, My gripe is with the lack of repose, positive or otherwise, but I guess by the tone of your post, you are probably of the same ilk.  (there I go, assuming things about you) Keep on shaking you head Dude.

At this point, I think it's best that I don't comment.

Edited by BassTractor