Why become a member? ×

Headphone amps

Bafflegab

Hmm my setup is iRig hd2 in to a 2018 iPad pro and haven't noticed latency in a sense that it interfered with my timing or the track I'm playing along to. Victor Wooten uses iRig to iPad on stage, surely he wouldn't if it was laggy? Maybe it's a solvable problem.

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Hmm my setup is iRig hd2 in to a 2018 iPad pro and haven't noticed latency in a sense that it interfered with my timing or the track I'm playing along to. Victor Wooten uses iRig to iPad on stage, surely he wouldn't if it was laggy? Maybe it's a solvable problem.

All I know is I tried the iRig HD2 and there was noticeable latency when slapping or using percussive playing (my finger style tends to have quite a lot of ghosting and percussive element with the right hand) - not noticeable when playing along with something but just about there when solo. The company said there was some, about the same as with a wireless unit so negligible in any situation other than using headphones I should think.  

• Thanks 1

On 26/01/2020 at 10:17, Al Krow said:

At the budget end, you could do far worse than the Zoom B1-4. Output jack for connection to amp or headphones. Gives you a master 3 band EQ and volume control for ease of access and the ability to set up a myriad of effects.

A lot of pedal for the money.

image.png.e0c8b90e1c7341a5849c47494725860d.png

Damn it man, now you've got me looking at this.

Is it complicated to use?  I get very confused with digital pedals

Someone's already mentioned iPad + iRig, if I'm away from home I usually take the ipad anyway, so all I need to take is the iRig, some ear bud phones and a short lead. No mains required either so long as the iPad is charged up, although I've got the extra charger thingy for the iRig. You do need something like Amplitube though to get amps & stomps, I splashed and got the full thing as I was playing g**tar quite a bit at the time so I'm not sure how cheaply it can be done.

Works for me, never noticed any latency at all (iPad pro).

Edited by adamg67

I play at home with a Sonic Port, headphones and my old iPad, using JamUp - lots of amp models, effects, play along with anything on iTunes, including pitch shifting and speed control. Very versatile. I've even used it as a preamp live.

55 minutes ago, Bafflegab said:

Damn it man, now you've got me looking at this.

Is it complicated to use?  I get very confused with digital pedals

It really isn't too bad at all to use. A short initial learning curve but then a lot of fun. There's even a tips thread with patch suggestions.

@dave_bass5 and @stewblack please jump in here.

Not a dedicated headphone amp, but another candidate for the "smaller budget" shortlist is the Hotone B-Station. It's a preamp+DI pedal, first and foremost, but it does have a headphone jack amongst its numerous output sockets. 3-band EQ, compressor, and drive stage built into a small box that will run off a 9V. Doesn't offer as many features as the Zoom, but it is certainly easy to use: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26141-hotone-b-station-review

Plus it's a DI box, in case you're ever out gigging somewhere without backline, or want a quick means of doing some "silent" recording at home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Not a dedicated headphone amp, but another candidate for the "smaller budget" shortlist is the Hotone B-Station. It's a preamp+DI pedal, first and foremost, but it does have a headphone jack amongst its numerous output sockets. 3-band EQ, compressor, and drive stage built into a small box that will run off a 9V. Doesn't offer as many features as the Zoom, but it is certainly easy to use: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26141-hotone-b-station-review

Plus it's a DI box, in case you're ever out gigging somewhere without backline, or want a quick means of doing some "silent" recording at home.

WOW that's bright and jumps off the page at you. :laugh1:

18 hours ago, ped said:

To be honest I make do with the Zoom B1on because I don't use it very often and when I do it's generally for playing along with something so the noise isn't an issue. It's also really light and the batteries last for ages especially with the screen light off. It's also mega cheap, so for £20 you really can't complain, it's amazing really.

Just had a look on line - amazing piece of kit although price appears to be around £40.  How giggable is it?

2 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Just had a look on line - amazing piece of kit although price appears to be around £40.  How giggable is it?

You might find a used one cheaper - I've never gigged mine but don't think it would be a problem; it's plastic but pretty solid and as long as you set up everything to work for your own situation I think it would be fine.

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Dunno if you've seen this thread?

Have to admit if it was a choice between the older chipset B1on or the newer more powerful processor on the Zoom B1-4, I would go for the B1-4 every time!

Worth every penny of the extra £20 in my books - and that's just for the ability to adjust volume and EQ 'globally' on the pedal itself without having to dive into the effects themselves, something not available even on the predecessor 'flagship' Zoom B3N.

And having an easy to use tuner that is so easily visible in the dark is further icing on the cake.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 15:27, tinyd said:

The Vox Amplug is not a high-end piece of bass gear, but if you just want to noodle around on your bass when you can't be arsed to plug in a proper amp it's fine.

Agreed. I have one that lives in my Steinberger gig bag, where the key requirement is light weight - it comes with me to that there London for practice in a hotel room. It's fine for practice and working on new songs but it can't hold a candle to even my weedy 20 watt Eden EC8. Horses for courses, I guess. 

• Like 1

+1 for the zoom b1 four.

Easy enough to set up and, as Al said, there’s threads with patch ideas to help get you started ( though most of the patches are metal inclined). 
There’s also a software package ( Guitar Lab) that makes editing the patches and chain even easier.
There are a few boxes that were all ticked for me over the other choices that I looked at:

- price

- tuner

- drum machine

- battery life

- aux in

There’s also the opportunity to disappear down the rabbit hole of combining a massive array of amp/speaker/effect combinations 😎

For just noodling along without accompaniment I use the Behringer P2.

Edited by Pat2019

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

No apps available???

Dragon's Den, here I come...

There are definitely apps, that's what the iPad + iRig + Amplitube solution mentioned above a few times uses to do the actual modelling. Could be other tablet / other interface / other app, I'm sure there are many now. Works a treat.

On 28/01/2020 at 13:46, Muzz said:

I play at home with a Sonic Port, headphones and my old iPad, using JamUp - lots of amp models, effects, play along with anything on iTunes, including pitch shifting and speed control. Very versatile. I've even used it as a preamp live.

How are you getting iTunes to connect with pitch shifting etc. I have Apple Music and don't get it to work?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2020 at 10:17, Al Krow said:

At the budget end, you could do far worse than the Zoom B1-4. Output jack for connection to amp or headphones. Gives you a master 3 band EQ and volume control for ease of access and the ability to set up a myriad of effects.

A lot of pedal for the money.

image.png.e0c8b90e1c7341a5849c47494725860d.png

Well.  I’ve gone and ended up with one of these.  Great fun, sounds better than I expected.  And found a thread on another forum with some patch ideas, as the preinstalled ones are decent but I won’t use most, and I’d rather replace them with stuff I will use.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Congrats on the purchase. A few patch ideas for the B1-4 on here also:

Given how slim it is, it will easily slip into a gig-bag pouch. Combine with the convenience of being able to battery power it and it becomes so convenient to use from tuner to headphone amp with a plethora of patches in between! (I guess I can stop the sale pitch now - haha!)

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at the ashdown tone pocket online at various outlets (pmt, gear4music etc) which all state it has 8 hour battery life....yet ashdown website says it has 2 hours battery life! Does anyone have one who might know which one is right?!

https://ashdownmusic.com/collections/accessories/products/tone-pocket-headphone-pre-amp 

eg 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ashdown-tone-pocket-headphone-pre-amp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA-P7xBRAvEiwAow-VaaGqP3s8jZpGB7JxV2H6TGo9x6GxQKEBKpaJp_K00fVP_nDKb_05lRoCKAMQAvD_BwE#product-details

Edited by chrisgriff