Why become a member? ×

Fender Vintera P bass

dmccombe7

Does anyone have one of the Vintera P basses and how does it compare with other Fender P basses.

Had a quick look when i was in Guitar Guitar Glasgow and the neck and fret height felt better on the Vintera than the more expensive versions. I didn't have time to play them.

Birthday coming up soon and thinking of treating myself again. I'll try them out before buying of course.

Dave

My son has just bought a 50s style Vintera P - maple/white/anodised. He went and tried quite a few Ps in shops plus my 2. I haven’t had a play of it but he reckons it combines the comfy neck profile of my 73 P with the gutsy sound of my 63 AVRI. Sounds like a win.

• Thanks 1

Altho i never tried the bass in guitar guitar i did manage to feel the neck width  and i have to admit it did feel better or shall i say more comfy to me than the US standard or originals whatever they are called these days. (i'm losing track of what Fender bass is what)

It was the white (blonde) one that i preferred but having seen the red one in DV247 at £689 i'm kinda tempted. Then seeing the green one above was pretty impressed with yours @artisan

Its so difficult with a choice of 3

Dave

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

What other P basses have you had and how does the build quality and tone compare to them.

thanks

Dave

I've had loads over the decades & this is the only one I've hung onto for a while.

My last American standard P never had the punch you normally associate with a good P so was soon moved on.

I've had several MIA,MIM,MIJ basses of various specs including American deluxe & the only one that was as good as my Vintera was a late 90's American vintage reissue '62 P bass.

Build quality is generally very good,although if you search I did have a couple of very minor issues with mine,both very easily fixed.

One thing I will recommend is a KiOgon loom,it really transformed the tone & was dead easy to fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, artisan said:

KiOgon is a member on here & a really nice bloke too,so you will find him using search on here.

It was after i posted that i recognised the name and i couldn't find him on a google search penny dropped so i might lok into that too. 

What were the minor issues you had with yours ?

Dave

The jack socket had a very a poor connection & just needed the contacts bending a bit to make good contact with the guitar lead.

Secondly the D &G side of the pickup didn't have enough foam underneath it to hold said pickup at the correct height.

Both easy fixes & the rest of the bass is superb.

The loom replacement does make a massive difference to the sound of the bass & is so easy to install

The stock pickup is just fine & punchy so no need to change that.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 27/01/2020 at 20:20, artisan said:

The jack socket had a very a poor connection & just needed the contacts bending a bit to make good contact with the guitar lead.

Secondly the D &G side of the pickup didn't have enough foam underneath it to hold said pickup at the correct height.

Both easy fixes & the rest of the bass is superb.

The loom replacement does make a massive difference to the sound of the bass & is so easy to install

The stock pickup is just fine & punchy so no need to change that.

Can you explain what this loom does? Can I buy it from KiOgon?

• 1 year later...

I did a butterscotch one with maple neck. Really happy with it even tho the neck is a fair bit wider than i prefer its still easy to play and has that lovely P tone. Got it from our very own @Thornybank.

Its one of my fav basses for tone at the moment altho the new MarloweDK is taking over everything i do. Its just the perfect bass for me.

Thanks for asking.

Dave

• Thanks 1

The only thing i have found with mine is that the neck is almost straight from nut to 12th fret then it has a slight bend which caused me a few headaches trying to set it up.

The action was 3mm at 12th when i got it.

The neck had a slight curve bordering on a bit too much to OK so decided to drop the string height first down to 2.5mm which is my normal starting point with any bass. What i got was choking at the 14th / 15th fret upwards on some strings. 

I then straightened the neck a bit but found fret buzz at the 4th / 5th frets. Checked neck again and went a bit too far so brought it back a slight touch. 

Where i am now is an almost straight neck but still that little bend at neck join but my string height is down to approx 2.25mm based on a visual against a string height gauge. 

Its not perfect but as i use it mainly for punk covers band it works ok for me. No fret buzz and no choking. I have considered taking in to a luthier to sort the issue but i foresee some major neck repairs and as the bass only cost £600 its probably not worth the trouble and expense.

Dave

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Nice one Dave thanks for the reply & a pity about the neck. Might have a nose at one if GG get them back in stock, plenty Vintera Jazz's but no P's. 

Come to think of it i think the one i bought is the 50's re-issue that the Vintera took over from. I could be wrong with that tho.

To be fair most people dont use P basses for fiddly work at the dusty end of the neck. Its usually a stalwart of precision deepness to hold a good solid backline. I know a guy with 3 of the Vintera P basses and he's had no issues at all. Maybe i'm just a bit fussy about my set ups. Fender recommended string height is 2.5mm and that's how you get them from factory according to their set up guide.

Its a workhorse bass and if that's what you are looking for i'd highly recommend them. 

Dave

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Come to think of it i think the one i bought is the 50's re-issue that the Vintera took over from. I could be wrong with that tho.

As far as I know the 50’s Vintera P is only available in Dakota Red and Seafoam Green.

10 hours ago, tegs07 said:

As far as I know the 50’s Vintera P is only available in Dakota Red and Seafoam Green.

There was a blonde version but it sold very quickly and no longer produced. I tried one in GG when they first appeared. 

Dave

image.png.0c25d6840d1aa9cdea83e00d2861480d.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

There was a blonde version but it sold very quickly and no longer produced. I tried one in GG when they first appeared. 

Dave

image.png.0c25d6840d1aa9cdea83e00d2861480d.png

Not seen one of those. Shame they didn’t keep it as an option. Much classier than the Dakota Red IMO

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Not seen one of those. Shame they didn’t keep it as an option. Much classier than the Dakota Red IMO

It didn't make sense to me either as it seemed to be the best seller of the 3 models. You'd think as a company Fender would produce the best seller rather than the others. That's Fender for you.:D

Dave

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

There’s 2 for sale on here.

One's enough for me LOL

I wanted it for a classic punk covers band but i'm finding the Sandberg Marlowe is much better suited to it.

I've had so many positive comments about the tone i'm getting. Clear, defined with just enough depth for a punk covers band. Bass was never overly prominent in most punk bands. Its quite a mid punch tone that suits better.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7