Why become a member? ×

NAD: Gallien Krueger MB500

grayn

I've been using my trusty bass rig for years.
A Gallien Krueger Backline 600 head, through a 4 ohm, MarkBass 2x10 traveller cab.
Always got a very reliable sound.
A few months ago I bought a new practice/back up combo, a Fender Rumble 500.
Then I got the urge to have a slightly bigger rig and got an 8 ohm MarkBass 2x10, to run with the Fender Rumble combo.
It sounded OK but kind of lacked focus/punch.
I thought about replacing the Rumble with a MarkBass combo, so I tried the Mini CMD121P & CMD151P combos, with the additional 2x10 cab.
I didn't like the sound at all and came to the conclusion that I'm not keen on Markbass combos, although I love their cabs.
So I decided to stick with what I know, and got myself a Gallien Krueger MB500 amp head.
At the same time I swapped my 4 ohm Traveller cab for another 8 ohm one.
So now I have 2, 2x10 cabs with my new amp and kept the old Backline 600 as back up.
Oh, and I sold the Rumble.

The new GK head is a real belter and is around a 3rd the weight of the old Backline head.
They share most of the same inputs and outputs and equalisation controls.
Where the old Backline has an overdrive channel, which I never used, the MB500 has a foot switchable boost facility, which to me is far more useful.
The MB500's front panel has the usual Gain, Master, Boost, 4-band EQ and Contour controls.
And the conventional passive/active dampener and mute switches, are also present.
The rear panel also follows the tried and tested conventions of dual speaker outputs, return & send for effects, footswitch input and tuner output, direct out with pre/post EQ and a ground lift switch.
When I tested the amp, I used it with everything turned to 12 o'clock and immediately liked the clear, punchy tone that is natural to this amp.
The 4 EQ controls worked well and gave me some superb and massive sounds.
The MB500 is far louder than the old Backline head and sounds really good through 1 or 2, 2x10 cabs.
Very pleased with my new set up.
It's light, simple to operate and sounds just how I like.

A.JPG

B.JPG

C.JPG

• Like 4

I keep going back to my MB800. In the past year ive gone through 3 other heads, but have now gone back to GK. i like them all, but the GK just has the kick i prefer. Only issue with my MB800 is the DI doesn't work. Not going to bother fixing it as I'll probably buy a Legacy soon, but in the meantime I'm happy use it. Also just brought a MB200 for rehearsals.

Just wanted to point out, having the Contour at 12 means its active and doing quite a bit, so not flat. 

26 minutes ago, Graham said:

I had one of these, it was a great bit of kit. In the end I went back to my EBS gear as that's the sound that really works for me, but I was very happy with the GK and would have another if I could afford to run two amps

The only thing putting me off (other than cost), is deciding what ill gain tone wise, and what ill lose over the MB800. Im sure ive got a good idea what to expect, but its still a gamble. Most references i see about these heads are in relation to the RB800, but i have no experience with that head. Im thinking if its cleaner, tighter in the lows, and warmer then thats 100% what im after. Warmer isnt a big deal though. I also find the new Gain/OD Edge knob to be a big plus. I do use channel 2 on my MB800 for drive, so having a bit more control over it seems like a really nice addition.

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

If the DI is dead, could you run the line-out into a DI box? Could be a cheap option 

Yeah, that works fine in to our PA desk. Just a bit disappointed that the XLR is dead and seems to have been like that when i got it (new). I just didn't need to use it for the first 5 years so never noticed.

• Like 1