Why become a member? ×

New pedal - issue?

Trueno

I've just received a new MXR M81 pedal. I already have an EBS Microbass II. The idea was to use the MXR for rehearsals/gigging (fewer knobs to mess about with) and keep the EBS for home use.

The pedal's fine... except there's a loud crack in the amp if I turn the desk lamp on in the room. Both the amp and the pedal are connected to a single extension lead.

Question is... is the pedal actually faulty or is it some (non-faulty) earthing type issue. I've tried the pedal with two different power supplies... both make the cracking noise. I've tried the EBS pedal... no cracking noise. If I have to source from two plugholes it would be a pain... or maybe if no-one switches on a desk lamp during a gig it would be ok (???) I presume it would be ok with a battery, but I don't want battery-related paranoia during a gig... I stopped playing active basses for that reason.

I could do with some info in case I have to argue the toss with Andertons... because I think they're a-holes. I only bought it from them because I had some bonus points to spend.

The MXR is great otherwise... so is the EBS (but too complicated for my remaing brain-space)

21 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I could do with some info in case I have to argue the toss with Andertons... because I think they're a-holes.

I don't know about your main question, but if you bought the pedal on the internet then you have the statutory right to return it within 14 days without giving any reason for a full refund.  In addition, the refund should include the original postage costs (i.e. from them to you), and they can't charge a restocking fee.
https://help.andertons.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360009225760-How-Do-I-Return-An-Item-

It's going back on Tuesday.

I have to say that Andertons have redeemed themselves somewhat. I had one bad experience where a query about my Mustang PJ could have been resolved in seconds... if I'd actually spoken to someone who knew what they were talking about.

This time the guy has been very helpful.

In retrospect there was no fault, but I have decided that my EBS is a bloody marvel. It outperforms the MXR (in my humble O), has more clean headroom, plus drive. I''ll be sticking with that and constructing my new pedal board this avvie.

New pedalboard... tuner plus EBS plus psu.