Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B15

Frogeye

• 4 months later...

I had like 30 B15N's in my life. Those all "official upgrade" speakers ampeg offered for B15 (JBL, Altec and EV [in the late 70s]) were "hi-fi" upgrades with extended clarity and upper frequency spectrum so that's why it may sound "thin" to your ears at first. They handled more power and they were cleaner. B15Ns preamp has broad tone control, so you can easily dial the high end back... I had them all, I love JBL and Altecs they have something special and wide in the tone (I don't care for EV's), but in the end I still prefer the square magnet CTSs and early Jensens (both sounding equally dark, farty and creamy).

• Like 2

I once owned the 60W B15-S, 1969 version of this classic amp, really regret selling, loved how it sounded, and it was just loud enough to be used in a loud playing rock band.

And got to be about the most cool looking amp ever made as well.

Got it amazingly cheap in the mid 90's from a local 2nd hand music instrument and gear shop.

Regret so much selling it.

Unfortunately I can't help you though, since I have no idea which speaker unit my flip top cab was actually equipped with. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

You need an efficient driver because of the limited power (such as the JBL you have), but efficient drivers can be not so great for bass, especially in a cab which is just a plain box, such as you have with your B15. Why not ask Bill Fitzmaurice for suggestions? 

Edited by Dan Dare

Hi @boromanwe haven't' talked in a while. Trust everything is well with you and yours in these troubling times.  :)

In my B15 I tried a JBL 2225 and an Altec something or other but I preferred the tonality of the original square magnet CTS. That's what is in there now. :)

The unit will never be a bass pounding monster 'cos of the small size of the speaker box. It is, however, a wonderful amplifier and handles everything my six string basses can throw at it.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 20:26, BassmanPaul said:

Hi @boromanwe haven't' talked in a while. Trust everything is well with you and yours in these troubling times.  :)

In my B15 I tried a JBL 2225 and an Altec something or other but I preferred the tonality of the original square magnet CTS. That's what is in there now. :)

The unit will never be a bass pounding monster 'cos of the small size of the speaker box. It is, however, a wonderful amplifier and handles everything my six string basses can throw at it.

Exactly, Paul! - the B15N is not about volume and efficiency. The sound comes from a raw designed amp and contruction of a cab with low-power rated speaker.

Hope you're safe too! Nice chat to you, always, and lots of help from your side. thanks so much!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...