Why become a member? ×

Soundabout Music-Based Charity

molan

Hi everyone,

As some of you will know, our family experienced a tragic event last year and we've all been trying to come to terms with things and move on in our own ways. One goal I set for myself was to try and do some charity work that involved children and, if possible, music.

I'm therefore very excited to announce that I've been formally appointed today as Marketing Lead at the lovely Soundabout charity based near Oxford!

Soundabout helps people with severe or profound disabilities and to communicate through music-based interaction - learning with instruments, drums, rhythmic patterns, sensory perception etc. Many of their participants are 'non-vocal' and the way they've learnt to interact with their families and peers through music is just fabulous to experience.

They work with schools in engaging with disabled children, adults through weekly workshops, multi-age inclusive choirs and all sorts of different music & sound based workshops. I might even take a bass along and see if I can help to get some people dancing and enjoying that low-end rumble :)

In 2020 they are launching new initiatives to work with pre-school children and young adults who've just finished school / college to help them through the, extremely tough, transition into adulthood.

They really do fabulous work and get great reviews from participants and their family members.

After the sad events of last year I really wanted something new to make me, and others who really deserve it, smile a little more.

I'll try and post the odd update from time to time and let people know if there are any musical events that might be interesting. I can get more information about them as well if anyone might ever want to help with fundraising through music or any other type of event.

If anyone wants to like or follow them on social media it would definitely be much appreciated - they don't bombard people with messages and some of the videos of people engaging with them are so heartwarming if ever you want to raise a smile :)

https://www.facebook.com/SoundaboutUK/
https://twitter.com/SoundaboutUK
https://www.instagram.com/soundabout.uk/
https://www.linkedin.com/company/22319968/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to hear that you experienced a tragedy last year Barrie, hope this new venture goes some way towards healing. I’m sure I speak for many here when I say please keep us all posted and let us know if you need anything we can give. Chris 

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Sorry to hear that you experienced a tragedy last year Barrie, hope this new venture goes some way towards healing. I’m sure I speak for many here when I say please keep us all posted and let us know if you need anything we can give. Chris 

Cheers Chris

We lost our gorgeous, 5 year old, grandson in the summer whilst on holiday and still struggling to come to terms with it.

He was always amazing with disabled people and regularly befriended them in our local park (there's a special centre for brain-damaged people nearby) so that was part of my 'prompt' to find this type of charity. He also loved music and was beginning to master some synth bass lines with me so there's a music connection as well :)

4 minutes ago, molan said:

Cheers Chris

We lost our gorgeous, 5 year old, grandson in the summer whilst on holiday and still struggling to come to terms with it.

He was always amazing with disabled people and regularly befriended them in our local park (there's a special centre for brain-damaged people nearby) so that was part of my 'prompt' to find this type of charity. He also loved music and was beginning to master some synth bass lines with me so there's a music connection as well :)

I’m very sorry to hear about what must still be an extraordinarily painful loss. I hope the new role helps you Barrie. C

• Like 1