Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for a lightweight 5 string under £500.....

Raslee

9 hours ago, Raslee said:

I've had back pain for 6 months now, GP of little to no help, so for this reason I bought a Bass Collection 310 5 string, 8.2lbs a few months back. This works good for the back pain but the bass is a bit Meh...leaving me a little uninspired. Don't get me wrong the quality of the bass is fine but the B is nowhere as good as the Cort and the sound is a bit dire; it oddly has 4 string sized pick ups with large cavity gaps, not sure if this normal, the preamp is also a bit lackluster.

I've got 3 Bass Collection 5 strings and I've changed the pre-amps in all of them. They are well known for having pretty weak pre's. They were all different, but still original Nanyo ones. I've got Glockenklangs in them all now.

I've never really had an issue with the B string so maybe it's a brand issue. 

Physio.  I had a bad back for years and years and eventually found a physio who knew some exercises to fix it (4th one I tried, I think). Back starts twingeing, do the exercises for a few days = better.  Could wear my 5-string bass all day .. and it's not a light one.

There's a lot of fandom for light and/or chambered basses, but IMHO there is nothing to beat the feel and sound of 5kg of solid mahogany / ovangkol / wenge / padauk ... whatever.

• Like 1

So after hours of exposing my quandary to she who has scales beneath her skin, she has taken pity and give the royal go ahead to take a punt on a Sire V3. I’ve asked Andertons if they could send me their lightest, doubt they will but thought I’d ask. If it’s too heavy I’ll simply send it back. Should be here next week...went for the wine coloured mahogany one😉-fingers crossed 🤞 

95D5E9B7-FFE0-401A-8A42-5FEAD0E91FE3.thumb.jpeg.7a6d9a066c54e3aafb749cf1c9b74661.jpeg

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 4