Why become a member? ×

tcelectronic BG250 failure

GreeneKing

Hello

Ive had my BG250 for quite a few years, from new. It’s only been used for for home practice and it’s been ultra reliable.

This morning I turned it on and no sound. Plenty of lights illuminated and no buttons on the panel are working. No smoke, smell or snap crackle and pop. The gain light is permanently on as is the Tubedrive light, a couple of tuner lights, the low tune light and the power light.

When I power the amp down it takes a full 9 seconds for the lights to go out. Much longer than normal.

Does anyone have similar experience or ideas?

I’m looking at an Orange Crush 50 on Saturday. If anyone has any suggestions I’ll have a look at the BG250 tomorrow.

Peter

You could try a firmware update Peter. Failing that the likelihood is having to send it to Real Electronics in Sheffield as there is nothing user serviceable in the amp section.

Main board is about £45, plus £69 labour and £18 carriage to send it back.

• Like 1

Thank you Stu. For what is and most likely will ever be, a home practice amp it makes more sense to replace it in my opinion. With the totally inert nature of the beast I suspect that a firmware update won't work but I will try.

I've got a Palmer pre-amp with an auxiliary input and I'll try that into my spare head and one Accugroove cab as that might be a way of getting an Aux in that I use with my Tascam a lot.

Peter

I think one of the problems with these amps ( like with plenty of other equipment), is that they don't react well to electrical fluctuations/surges. I've now seen a couple that have failed when being used on stages, where the supply has been provided via a generator.

I'll offer the BG250 free on collection locally as spares or repairs. The tip is next.

I tried my spare head and my 2nd Accugroove with a Palmer pre that has an aux in. It all works perfectly.

tcElectronic watts are a lot smaller that EBS watts though......

DSCF0011.jpg

3 hours ago, lownote12 said:

No idea why people buy TC.  I had one of their amps and it did much what you describe for no reason.  Real charged me almost as much as it cost to fix it.

I didn't realise this applies to TCE as well. I knew Markbass stuff cannot be maintained except by post for vast expense. 

Is all class D stuff the same? 

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

I didn't realise this applies to TCE as well. I knew Markbass stuff cannot be maintained except by post for vast expense. 

Is all class D stuff the same? 

Ashdown will fix any of there products, old or new, including Class D.

The problem is not if it can be fixed or not, it's getting the circuit diagrams so you can find the fault  Most manufacturers won't release them. Add the fact that modern production techniques use surface mount technology and a circuit board swap is easier for them  

It looks like the older class A/B MarkBass heads can be fixed. My SA450 has been with an amp tech for a few days and it's on a soak test at the moment. Apparently fixed.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 2