Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* ACG Harlot 5 Rare Thru *Minty* £1500
£1500
Benfleet, Essex

Ashwood1985

SOLD

A rare thru neck ACG Headless Harlot 5

A1 Immiculate, as new condition. Not a single ding or scratch that I can find! This has been gigged by me twice and obmm once according to him when I collected it so a total of three nights played out. So a new ACG for half the price.

We’re talking exotic wood for days here: sycamore, Asian ebony, Wenge, flamed maple and swamp ash.

It has grub screws for use with normal strings if that’s what you want. 

The unusual low pass filter amp per pickup that is spec’d in a lot of Alan’s custom builds. Really cool feature is the resonance control. And of course the high boost circuit that runs parallel to the low pass filter adding some tops back in. That along with the switchable pickup config makes it very versatile tonally.

I bought on here from the original owner obbm and I believe to commission it would cost in region of £3,000, although I’ve heard that Alan doesn’t now make thru necks.

Perfectly low action, blue fibre optic dots on the side of the neck (which I found a lot better for use on a dark stage than the brighter LEDs that are common) plays like a dream and has a very hi-if sound with plenty of punch.

The fretboard is zero radius and the neck is asymmetrical (slightly thinner on the G side and thicker at the E). Unorthodox but I’m never consciously aware of it and find it very comfy: the neck plays itself.

I strongly believe that it’s underpriced at £1500 but in BC spirit it’s what I paid for it.

It has double ball status strings that are mice and clean but have lost some of their ‘brand-new zing’ but still have some there which is great for some but if you want that super fresh string zing then you’ll want to grab some new ones. Haven’t used the grub screws before but got instructions on from Alan (the luthier) on how to use them to fit normal single ball strings.

The only wear I can see is the black has worn off a couple of the brigade pickup screws. (See in photos)

34-inch scale
Swamp Ash body core
Asian Ebony top/veneer.
Thru 5 piece flame maple/wenge neck
Acrylic Flame Sycamore neck – no dots
Dual Action trussrod
Carbon neck rods
Blue LED via fiber-optic side dots
Black hardware
Hipshot Ultralite Tuners.
Hipshot Type A bridge - 18mm spacing
ACG String anchor
RFB humbucker bridge pick-up with coil switching
RFB Single coil neck pick-up.

9A3C431F-2E9F-4C52-92D6-475B206697DB.jpeg

FACA3CB3-54C2-47FD-BE01-CE6485AD2E93.jpeg

F0628DF3-B7A7-426B-BE8B-510A96DC1368.jpeg

3390977A-103C-4C5C-BC19-E69E1B1B13A6.jpeg

11520B23-6620-48DB-BA89-72D6A6BC74BB.jpeg

A059AF17-BF79-4741-AC0E-C547E7DDE91F.jpeg

AC5F1A3C-52FD-463E-B838-2666AB0FE204.jpeg

0F435AF6-2241-4428-BA2E-9138D8BEC1ED.jpeg

Edited by Ashwood1985
  • Like 8

On 25/01/2020 at 17:17, TheGreek said:

Dave bought this along to one of the SE Bashes - it's an absolutely stunning bass. If it's half the ACG Harlot bass that I sold Frank Blank it'll be a monster.

Somebody's going to get a great buy...

Funny you should say that...

262954DF-D239-49F0-8070-28926BB08148.jpeg

...here are the happy couple. @TheGreek is absolutely right @Ashwood1985’s five string ACG is indeed a monster, Had a go this afternoon, glorious bass, someone will be getting a totally unique, beautifully built bass. I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that @skelf is the best bass builder in the country, actually, fvck it, best bass builder in the world.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 4

That does look in superb condition for a 9 year old bass! 

A few Qs if I may:

What's the string spacing and the weight of the bass?

Do the lights get through the batteries very quickly and is there an on / off switch for the lights?

Is there an active by-pass option to allow you to play the bass in passive mode, in case the batteries go mid gig?

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That does look in superb condition for a 9 year old bass! 

A few Qs if I may:

What's the string spacing and the weight of the bass?

Do the lights get through the batteries very quickly and is there an on / off switch for the lights?

Is there an active by-pass option to allow you to play the bass in passive mode, in case the batteries go mid gig?

Hey man,

I’ll get back you you with answers to all the above by tomorrow evening 👍🏼

What I can tell you now is that I think the fiber optics are pretty efficient but yes you can switch them off easily with a toggle switch with the other controls on the bass.

Theres no passive mode you can activate. I’ll test it without batteries though and let you know what it can do without them :)

Will get back to you tomorrow with the result of that test and the spacing/weight.

PS. I didn’t realise it was all of 9 years old! The fact it hasn’t really been played out and I purchased it from the original owner made me assume it was a more recent build.

Edited by Ashwood1985

• 3 weeks later...