Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1on bargain alert

Mudpup

Just a heads up really....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-B1on-Bass-Effects-Pedal/dp/B00JLEHMG6?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00JLEHMG6

This is down to £39 on Amazon and a bit of a bargain imho. Looper, Drum machine, Aux In, headphone out, tuner and a load of fx and amp models in there too. Runs on batteries or mains. Great for home practice or as a multi fx unit.

Edited by Mudpup

9 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Makes me wonder what it's making way for... 🤔

They recently released a B1four as its replacement i believe. This must just be a bit of old stock lying around - still a good bit of kit though

Edited by Mudpup

If they run out, they're only £2.65 more on Thomann with 3 year warranty and 30 day return policy 😉

I've got an order I want to place with Thomann anyway, so I might just stick one of these in the list. 

I thought they were just cheap, outdated crappy plastic pedals, but the review are actually pretty good.

I'm generally not a fan of "patch" driven pedals, they're way too much arsing about, and I don't really use many effects, occasionally a bit of reverb. But I need a new tuner anyway. At at that price it's probably worth it just for a tuner and reverb pedal. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Seriously, it is. Its light and can be powered off AA batteries, a useful headphone amp if nothing else. Lots of reverb and delay effects. 

The only thing that puts me off slightly, is I'm sure I had a Zoom pedal many years ago, kind of looked like this but with a circular central display. Probably much older than this model. But I just remember everything sounding really wooley and pretty much useless. 

7 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The only thing that puts me off slightly, is I'm sure I had a Zoom pedal many years ago, kind of looked like this but with a circular central display. Probably much older than this model. But I just remember everything sounding really wooley and pretty much useless. 

I'd hope that they've improved since then! I had the original 90s 506 which I used to use all the time. One rehearsal I forgot to bring it, and the drummer said something like "Man, your bass sounds really good today. Did you change something?". I don't think it came out again after that...

Edited by Beer of the Bass
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

If they run out, they're only £2.65 more on Thomann with 3 year warranty and 30 day return policy 😉

I've got an order I want to place with Thomann anyway, so I might just stick one of these in the list. 

I thought they were just cheap, outdated crappy plastic pedals, but the review are actually pretty good.

I'm generally not a fan of "patch" driven pedals, they're way too much arsing about, and I don't really use many effects, occasionally a bit of reverb. But I need a new tuner anyway. At at that price it's probably worth it just for a tuner and reverb pedal. 

I think the patches are the same as their more expensive pedals. It can get a bit noisy if you chain lot's of fx but then so are standalone pedals. It is a plastic case but decent quality. The fx are really slow to set up but easy enough to use once set up and the settings are saved. The B1-4 addresses this as instead of everything being adjusted through a menu system you get instant access to minor adjustments via the extra knobs. As a practice tool I agree with Stewblack it really is excellent.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Impossible to say if you will like the effects or not it's all down to personal preference and expectation. 

However it's an excellent practice tool, and tuner. If you're only after reverb, you can't really go wrong. 

I used to use my 506 quite sparingly, chorus on one tune, octave and distortion on sections of others, so I had the effects off most of the time and it was the difference between the Zoom with effects off or bass straight into amp that was noticeable. But I'd expect like any other piece of affordable digital kit, things will have come a long way in the past 20 years! I don't have any complaints about the sound quality of my Zoom recorders, for example.

On 24/01/2020 at 10:24, Newfoundfreedom said:

That sounds like the B2. I had one of those and I found that the preset sounds could be a bit hit and miss, but with a bit of a tweak, they sounded great. The exception being the fuzz and overdrive patches, which always sounded a bit fizzy. The B3 (which I love) is a bit better. Maybe the B3n has more convincing drive sounds, or maybe I just need to try harder to dial in useable sounds.  I love Zoom stuff, especially their multi fx- you can’t get better bang for your buck,. 

9 minutes ago, rushbo said:

That sounds like the B2. I had one of those and I found that the preset sounds could be a bit hit and miss, but with a bit of a tweak, they sounded great. The exception being the fuzz and overdrive patches, which always sounded a bit fizzy. The B3 (which I love) is a bit better. Maybe the B3n has more convincing drive sounds, or maybe I just need to try harder to dial in useable sounds.  I love Zoom stuff, especially their multi fx- you can’t get better bang for your buck,. 

No mine was a much earlier and cheaper model. I think probably the aforementioned 506. 

I've used Zoom multi FX since I started playing, I like the way they're laid out and are moderately simple for on the fly changes.

My current B3n is great, however since updating the firmware it randomly crashes if it's been on a while requiring the power to be reset, it tends to keep doing this after it has once (not overheating). By good chance, it has only done this at home and never a gig so far.