Why become a member? ×

PA system

Triumphman

Ok

we run a Beatles tribute band. We play all over the uk at different venues. Most, like theatres, have in house pa. Others don’t, like weddings or village halls, so we use our own pa.

its a pretty standard setup. Mackie tops, a sub and a mixer.

time for an upgrade maybe.

question is, would a column pa be any good? Would one do what our pa does?

Playing rooms for 100-200 people.

i like the idea of them being easier to handle, store and load.

any thoughts or suggestions? Cheers 

Yes the RCF Evox and the Turbosound iP2000's systems are excellent and very portable , we have both and we put the whole band thru with no backline and both sound ace

Edited by Adee

In a desperate attempt to actually answer the OP's question, we moved from a pair of RCFs to a MarkAudio column-based system about 18 months ago. This was then a 4-piece covers band doing 50s-80s music, and we were really keen to start routing the entire band through the PA to keep on-stage volumes acceptable.

At the time, the range of column systems out there was really pretty limited. We felt that the MarkAudio came closest to what we wanted. Judging by what we saw at NAMM last week the market has since expanded dramatically and the choice is way wider.

Will these systems do what a pair of Mackies or RCFs will do? Yup, absolutely, plus they bring other advantages.

1. On narrow stages or platforms a pair of RCFs at head height will block out a surprising amount of the view of the band. Column systems make the stage area feel wide open and spacious. 

2. Mackies and RCFs have the amp inside the cab (well ... duh!) which means that at each gig a pair of 50lb units has to be lifted to head height and placed on a pole. Column-based systems have almost all the weight concentrated in the sub-woofer sitting on the floor. Not only is this good for your back, but it means that the entire unit is far more stable and punter-proof.

3. At many pub gigs the splayed tripod feet of the PA poles are a significant trip hazard, especially as the punters get drunker. A bloody great 2x10 sub-woofer is much less likely to trip up a dancer. On t'other hand, it's really very difficult to put your pint of lager on a PA tripod ...

4. If called upon to play a much larger gig than usual, or maybe an outdoor gig, and assuming that you kept your old pole-mounted PA, it's very easy to combine the two different types of system since they occupy very different spaces physically.

• Like 1

There are quite a number of column/mini line array plus sub PA rigs on offer these days. They are light, compact, visually relatively unobtrusive and work well. I'd definitely recommend shopping around and getting a few demos. FWIW, I tried a number and bought a Fohhn system a few years back - I found it the best combination of quality and price. I'd add the LD Systems Maui and EV Evolve to the RCF Evox and Mark systems mentioned above as being worthy of investigation. Bose are good, too, although not a true line array (the drivers in the column are set at varying angles, so they don't have the "throw" of a true array).

I'm in a similar position with my blues/rock band - could do with an upgrade.  These columns are interesting - not encountered one for a full band before.  Daft question but I guess you have a seperate desk to mix all the inputs and output that through this?

14 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I'm in a similar position with my blues/rock band - could do with an upgrade.  These columns are interesting - not encountered one for a full band before.  Daft question but I guess you have a seperate desk to mix all the inputs and output that through this?

Not usually. Most have power amps built into the sub's (which provide power to the columns, less low frequencies). You just run your mixer into the sub(s). Obviously, you need subs with sufficient power if you plan to run bass, drums, etc through them at any volume in larger venues.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Nope. You run the usual vox/instrument inputs to the desk, and then take an XLR for L/R Main Output, one to each sub-woofer. They do the crossover bit internally and divert what needs to be diverted to their respective tops.

• Thanks 1