Why become a member? ×

Schaller S Locks.?

bubinga5

11 minutes ago, ambient said:

I’ve always preferred the Dunlop. I had the screw on thing fall off a Schaller strap lock once. It had been on really tight to begin with, but had loosened over time. 

Rehearsing with a guitarist last week and the Schaller strap lock on his Strat worked lose.

It's obviously a feature!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Rehearsing with a guitarist last week and the Schaller strap lock on his Strat worked lose.

It's obviously a feature!!

Yep. I stopped using them and switched to the Dunlop, they’re a lot better. Someone said you should check them each time, but you really shouldn’t have to, at least in my opinion.

I have a combination of Shallers and Dunlops, after an ACG came with a dunlop. Not ideal situation really!

I like the dunlops in that you can still use a normal strap, but went to put some on the latest ibanez, and the dunlop screw wouldn't fit. 

I don't know what the difference in security is between the Shaller and the S's. 

Switched to Schaller S locks recently on two different basses (and will be adding them to the one due in soon :D) and the thick locking nut/washer that goes on the strap also has a grub screw so you can tighten it up against the thread. Hasn't budged so far. There's also a hole across one edge of the washer that you can poke the allen key through to use as leverage to really tighten things up. Overall, quite impressed. Slightly less impressed by the bit that goes on the bass which is all in one with the thread attached to the button and an allen key shaped hole for installing. Feels a bit pointless and like a potential weak point, however, ordinary Schaller strap buttons would work anyway, so you can mix 'n' match.

Overall - a worthy upgrade for the strap bit, less so for the bass bit.

Is it just me who finds the Schaller system great, but inexplicably expensive? I use Dunlop jobs for that reason.  Very decent quality copies are about £6 a pair, and shopping about gets you genuine for 15 sheets or so if you're canny.

Edited by Bassfinger

11 minutes ago, anzoid said:

Switched to Schaller S locks recently on two different basses (and will be adding them to the one due in soon :D) and the thick locking nut/washer that goes on the strap also has a grub screw so you can tighten it up against the thread.

ok, so that is the key difference to stop the tendency of a nut to turn. Seems as it is longer now, so odd they don't include a couple of washers which would be a bit better. Although a grub screw on a thread might damage it.

11 minutes ago, anzoid said:

Slightly less impressed by the bit that goes on the bass which is all in one with the thread attached to the button and an allen key shaped hole for installing.

All in one seems a downside, as every screw I have replaced in a bass was a different size!

1 minute ago, Bassfinger said:

Is it just me who finds the Schaller system great, but inexplicably expensive? I use Dunlop jobs for that reason.  Very decent quality copies are about £6 a pair.

You can get shaller copies cheap too. The dunlops are the same prices as the shaller.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ambient said:

I’ve always preferred the Dunlop. I had the screw on thing fall off a Schaller strap lock once. It had been on really tight to begin with, but had loosened over time. 

Agreed.  I would never buy Schaller again after this, Dunlop Straploks are a much better choice IMO as they don't have any moving parts at all.

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I use the hack of a cheap (2p) rubber washer, pulled over the basses strap bolt and covering the top of the strap hole. Works a treat.

I like the idea of proper strap locks but dont trust myself fitting stuff like that.

I’ve never liked fitting the body part, I worry about the screw splitting the wood. It’s probably very unlikely, but I’m rubbish at anything involving tools, so prefer to get it done for me. 

34 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Agreed.  I would never buy Schaller again after this, Dunlop Straploks are a much better choice IMO as they don't have any moving parts at all.

That's not true. There's a spring-loaded ball-bearing mechanism that holds the two parts together. And that's what failed within 3 months on the only pair I've owned. On the other hand I have Schaller StrapLocks from the mid 80s that are still functioning perfectly.

There is IME more room for user error with the Schaller StrapLocks, but once you have worked out what needs to be done to fit each part securely to the instrument and strap, they work perfectly. 

In the end it's each to their own. We stick with what we know and what works for us. None of the methods are 100% perfect or fool-proof. Having tried all the different methods, the Schallers work for me. I can appreciate that they are not for everyone.

• Like 2

I've got a thread here about my strap lock woes. It's got so severe I replaced my Jags screws with M6 Roofing bolts. https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/343533-i-keep-destroying-straplocks/#comments

I've now got the S's on my Mustang. The screw has worked loose from the bass a couple of times, despite copious amounts of superglue. But cant fault them as the same is still happening on my Jag too! (I really chuck myself around on stage!)