Why become a member? ×

Try before you Buy !

Wack

Hello Folks,

I'm in the market for a new bass (or at least new to me), and I'm wondering where is the best place to go to get to play as many different basses as possible (ideally without going to London)

I'm particularly interested in Ibanez and Yamaha basses.

I look forward to hearing any advice you may have to offer, both on where to go and perhaps which specific models to try (Ibanez seem to have zillions of variations !!).

Bye for now.

Wack

12 minutes ago, Machines said:

They have hardly anything in stock if you look closely at their website.

1070 products to order, 29 actually in store. Of which 5 are Yamaha/Ibanez.

Try finding Warwick basses you can try before buying. 5 is a glorious selection. 

I'm amazed we don't see more posts of summat like:

"I want to try a Wal. Who near Brum has one?"

At least with Yam or Ibanez you can always buy it from Thomman and send it back if you don't want it.

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grangur said:

Try finding Warwick basses you can try before buying. 5 is a glorious selection. 

I'm amazed we don't see more posts of summat like:

"I want to try a Wal. Who near Brum has one?"

At least with Yam or Ibanez you can always buy it from Thomman and send it back if you don't want it.

In 2005 I recall going into Sound Control Manchester and they had about 30 Warwicks. They just are a bit passe nowadays. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Machines said:

In 2005 I recall going into Sound Control Manchester and they had about 30 Warwicks. They just are a bit passe nowadays. 

Yet I've never understood the attraction to paint finish, where 1 bass looks exactly the same as any other of that description. Add to that a bolt-on neck that's a loose fit in the body; giving a muffled sound to the notes to my ears.
Give me a  good Warwick any day. Each to their own.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your help,

Although very few of them seem to have very much of interest, actually in stock, when you look on their websites . . . . .  unfortunately.

I think the Thomann option is looking the best way to go.

Thanks again.

Wack

Edited by Wack

If you're particularly interested in Yammys & Ibbys then the following threads are worth a quick browse; and if you're looking at particular models feel free to ask the views / pick the brains of the BC'ers on these threads:

They happen to two of my very favourite brands of basses, so feel free to drop me a PM too.

I usually check out GAK website as well if you are going down the on-line route. GAK will price match any other UK price.

I've even driven down to Bass Direct from Glasgow area just to get a look around it. Its an amazing shop and sometimes a drive is what's required when spending good money on a bass.

My first stop to try basses out is Guitar Guitar in Glasgow. If i like something i'll buy same bass from GAK.

Dave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

If you're particularly interested in Yammys & Ibbys then the following threads are worth a quick browse; and if you're looking at particular models feel free to ask the views / pick the brains of the BC'ers on these threads:

They happen to two of my very favourite brands of basses, so feel free to drop me a PM too.

Thank you Al Krow, that is really useful. 👍

Wack