Why become a member? ×

Can anyone recommend a nice fretless semi-acoustic bass?

Basilpea

1 hour ago, dave moffat said:

You're all a shower of complete and utter c*nts making my GAS flare up again........NURSE!! HELP!! the bass pushers have got to me again, you said if I got that Ibanez I'd be immune.....you lied .....sob, sniffle...not fair..make it stop

You’re aware that that is the raison d’être of Basschat? ☺️

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My pilgrimage continues, albeit an enjoyable one.  After trying an MB2 very kindly facilitated by EZybass (what a nice guy) I am certainly smitten, he also threw another option into the equation

job150124s.jpg.3b1764a866bc5ca144f52c11d7a1ab99.jpg

Also following up the Rick Turner Renaissance option mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyone know where I can try one out?

I think this journey may be longer than a lifetime, but maybe that's just how it should be.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Basilpea said:

I think this journey may be longer than a lifetime, but maybe that's just how it should be.

See, the thing is, this is far truer than you think. It’s very easy to just keep trying them out and they are such rare beasts (you’ve done extraordinary well already) you could keep going and going. I don’t think you’ll find better than the MB2 or the Shuker and if you are spending that kind of money I’d definitely speak to @Andyjr1515 or @skelf about getting something built to your exact spec.

In practical terms you're probably right Frank, but many would say that, like most things in life, it's all about the journey, not the destination.  Although I do have to get something sorted out in a reasonable timeframe before the Corvette 5 does some permanent neck & shoulder damage.

Absolutely...

At no time are we ever in such complete possession of a journey, down to its last nook and cranny, as when we are busy with preparations for it. After that, there remains only the journey itself, which is nothing but the process through which we lose our ownership of it.

Yukio Mishima

On 11/02/2020 at 09:12, obbm said:

Could I humbly suggest the Spector CTB Fretless.  Being 85% chambered I guess it would count as semi-accoustic. 

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks a nice bass but not sure if it comes in 5 string 34" scale.  I have to say the modern finish and the general style are less appealing to me than the traditional simplicity of the Rob Allen.    These sort of comparisons are really helping me to realise exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks for your input.

JOURNEY UPDATE

I think we're on the home stretch now.  After checking out the Rob Allen (and a fair few others) I think it is going to end up as my No1 bass guitar (5 string).  The MB2 just seems to fit the bill perfectly for me. I don't believe I will ever get the one I want on this forum or ebay/facebook etc so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet there.   

The No2 (4 string) will most likely be between the Shuker and the Joker B ( the configurator is online now and it's brilliant).  I'm going up to see Jon in a couple of weeks time so I will make the decision after that.  

Next will come the Double bass upgrade, but that will be much easier (although a lot more expensive) - I will go and see Adrian Warwick and ask him what he recommends.

I'll let you know how it all finally pans out.

Thanks so much for all your help guys, the benefit of your experience has saved me so much time and hassle - and probably a small fortune.  Hope to meet some of you at the next Bass Bash and buy you a pint.

• Like 1