Why become a member? ×

Limiter pedal suggestions

Friskydingo

I recently sold my Carl Martin Opto-compressor because my amp came with built in compression. 

I'm having seller's remorse, as the pedal was very good, and if I go to a practice room or venue without compression on the amp I'm stuffed! 

So please enlighten me with what limiter I could buy to help tame my notes to compliment my amp compressor (trace elliot gp1215) 

P. S I've looked at ovnilab and boss lmb-3, pigtronix philosopher's bass, mxr m87 all seem good limiters

Thanks, chris 

You can't go wrong with the Boss LMB-3, they're cheap as chips and pretty much indestructible. I've had 2 or 3 over the years and whenever I've sold one I've ended up buying another down the line! It's actually an excellent compressor too and has an infinity to 1 setting on the ratio control for limiting duties. The enhance feature is a bit noisy but usable at lower settings if you want that ultra high end thing. The pedal itself imparts a slightly scooped mid range when engaged so it's not really transparent but it's quite a pleasing sound in its own right. 

• Like 1

😮 Bloody hell, you're not kidding! I paid a lot less than that for mine, and even that was absolutely at the top-end of what I think is fair for a pedal. I'm not sorry that I did, mind you; it's definitely a "forever" pedal for me, and works just as well on guitar, keyboard, or anything with a line out. But if I was looking for a limiter today, I don't think it'd even be on my radar at £200 💸

Edit: Though the very similar GC-2 can be had for £50 less... 🤔 https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14123012412516--keeley-gc-2-limiting-amplifier

Edited by MartinB
Are they taxing bass players for being so fickle about compression? ​😉

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

😮 Bloody hell, you're not kidding! I paid a lot less than that for mine, and even that was absolutely at the top-end of what I think is fair for a pedal. I'm not sorry that I did, mind you; it's definitely a "forever" pedal for me, and works just as well on guitar, keyboard, or anything with a line out. But if I was looking for a limiter today, I don't think it'd even be on my radar at £200 💸

Edit: Though the very similar GC-2 can be had for £50 less... 🤔 https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14123012412516--keeley-gc-2-limiting-amplifier

I have looked mxr m87 which is slightly cheaper. They tax us for string size, amplifier watts and compression. It's 'racist against the bassist'

• Haha 1